Empty tins? Toss 'em?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Prof, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prof

Prof Member

I think I remember a thread where we discussed this...I have kept every tin (or can) that I have opened, and I just had to put them all I one place and filled up one of those clear plastic storage bins with the flip over flaps, and it is over filled at that. Pretty much no two tins are the same, and I just hated the idea of throwing them out...but good grief. I could piss the neighbors off and build an anatomically correct lawn gnome sculpture out them, but I don't think that would go over spectacularly well...

Ideas?

Old Codger, Thuber88 and pacificflows like this.

2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Make sure you post pics of that gnome. Otherwise, never happened.

I keep only the tins that have art work that I find interesting. The rest go in the trash.

I do do keep one or two for taking tobacco on the go with me, and just mark the tin with tape and a marker as to its contents.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Build a shadowbox for your smoking area and put one tin per blend in it. It would look like a well-stocked tobacconists shop. Toss the rest of the tins.

4. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I use the McClelland style ones for nuts, bolts, nails etc... The rest garbage. Sorry.

Old Codger likes this.
  5. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

I use to keep all my tins. Filled up a cabinet space. I got in a cleaning mood and threw all of them away. I'd rather hoard them filled than empty.

Glenn likes this.
  6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I give them to my girls. They keep treasures in them.

12GA, Old Codger, Morse and 3 others like this.
  7. Prof

Prof Member

That would be cool, but my smoking area is my truck...all my tobacco stuff is in a bookshelf in a library with no available wall space...and I have lttle way to build a box. Some of the tins are cool, some of the cans are big...

I don't use the tins to carry tobacco, I use my tubes. The tins just don't keep the tobacco moist, so the stuff goes straight into tubes and jars, and the tins are thrown into a what was five garage drawers until I needed the space today...I really didn't know I had so many really.

8. Eddie

Eddie Member

Stick them all to a wall in your library.

MikeInMaine likes this.
  9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I line a few up in the garden as targets for my air guns :)
    OT

12GA, WWhermit, Trauma and 6 others like this.
  10. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Recycle and take the cash and feed your TAD or Pad or both!

11. Prof

Prof Member

My girls are still in the megablock phase, so secrets are a few years off...these Solani tins would good survival kits, I guess...

I do like opening them up and smelling them...got caught this morning and the oldest daughter thought I was "weird"...go figure

colorduke likes this.
  12. Old Schoolr

Old Schoolr Member

I'll glue closed cell foam in them & use them to store fishing flies in. When I get around to it I'm going to make weed whip line cleaning kits for my friends w/ .22 rifles & use the cans to hold the pull-thru, patches & what-not.
    I'd hate to just throw them out. You could probably give then to someone who does crafting or hits the flea market circuit.

Old Codger and psquared like this.
  13. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

You can sell them on eBay for a $1. Survivalists use them as survival kits, small tackle kits, first aid, etc.

14. mugwump

mugwump Member

I keep them until I'm sure I'm not going to trade/give away the tobacco that was in them. I do keep the Samuel Gawith tins as I'm planning to make a decorative display for the wall once I amass enough variety.

15. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Take the lids off them all, keep one lid from each singular brand and flavor, then make a wall decoration out of the flat lids, like people do with wine corks.
    No repeats makes it a more interesting decoration.

ruffinogold likes this.
  16. Prof

Prof Member

Except all of the McClelland and CD cans...got dozens of them too? Point taken though, it would make a cool mural...

Thuber88 likes this.
  17. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

Remove and keep the labels from those, get rid of the cans.

18. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Or it could be a mosaic that says something, or just looks like a pipe

19. Moose

Moose Active Member

I wouldn't know what to do with them. I still haven't emptied one. Pouches yes, tins no. Someday......

colorduke likes this.
  20. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I never kept them until someone brought up keeping them , here at PSF a few years ago . So I figured I'd toss them in a box . I've got a few boxes full .. I was gonna chuck them and then thought ..... when I get the barn done , I can cover one of the walls [ interior ] with the lids , like what Thuber said . I don't keep the cardboard " tins " .. those get tossed

MikeInMaine and Thuber88 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.