English Baccy Problem

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Pecci, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I have now tried 4 different English blends, and all seem to have a slight taste of chlorine. I'm not sure, but I think it might be the Latakia. Has anyone else experienced this?

I want to be able to enjoy English, as I do Va's & bur's, and for the most part, leave the aro's.

Any ideas, or game plans? As always thanks.

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Your game plan should be to try a few latakia blends and if you don't like them, leave them alone for awhile. There's no shame in not liking the taste of latakia, and there are plenty of great blends that don't use that condiment.

As for blends to try, sample some of the lighter latakia fare, such as McClellands Frogmorton On The Town or C&D's Epiphany. Not sure what blends you've tried but many of them are loaded with the stuff. And if latakia never hits you, don't despair. If you work too hard to like a tobacco, it'll be anything but the relaxing and enjoyable experience pipe smoking is supposed to be.

Beale likes this.
  3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Are they bulk or tin English blends?

4. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

What else have you been smoking in that pipe? Maybe a ghost from another tobacco accounts for the taste? I smoke english almost exclusively, and chlorine has never entered my mind.
    It's truly amazing how everyone's sense of taste can be so diverse. I really wanted to smoke perique blends, but so far, I'm put-off by perique. I'll re-visit them later. If you don't like it, don't sweat it.
    Life's too short to smoke something that tastes like chlorine, or drink light beer, which now that I think of it, does taste like chlorine...:puke:

5. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

All have been bulk and from a few different pipes.

Yeah, it may just not be for me. I just like the idea of that campfire feel. Instead, I get essence of swimming pool!:rolleyes:

There is a blend from a local called, Saddleback Mtn. It is basically an English (or not an English), w/o Latakia. It was fine, but not very complex. I added a pinch of Perique (5%) and that made it more interesting. I thought of perhaps getting some straight Latakia, to see for sure if it is Latakia that I object to. I figure if it is the reason for the chlorine taste, then straight, it should taste like "bleach.":puke:

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Give these a try

Rattrays

7 Reserve (English, lat forward)

Highland Targe (Scottish, Cav-Va forward, w/orientals & lat), this one's nicely aromatic too and burns fairly clean.

Or Butera/Esoterica

Margate (English, nice smooth Lat/Va) very good!

Pembroke (English, basically Margate with cognac) even better than (above) ....... I love this one!

Ed
    Puff

7. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

"Saddle Back Mtn" means you're in the OC. And you've been to Tobacco Barn, but Saddleback isn't really an English, but if that's what you like then that's the place to start. The guys there should be able to guide you through your explorations, as well as the learned members here.

2nd post: I just checked your profile and you're just down the 91 from me. PM me if you like and we'll talk...

8. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

I've never gotten chlorine from tobacco, but I do often get ammonia if I push too hard. Cigars are especially consistent with the ammonia flavor if smoked too fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.