1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

English Silver Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by xrundog, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

I don't see many of these around. There are always a few on eBay. But they are hard to get as bidding is competitive. and they are often in sad shape and without cases. I like a couple things in particular about these pipes. First, the craftsmanship of the silver work. Second, England has always been very particular about its silver craft and the hallmarks allow precise dating of the work and sometimes even identify the craftsman that did the work.
    I bought this pipe 5 or 6 years ago. I happened to come across it at the beginning of the auction. The buy it now price seemed reasonable considering the fine condition of the pipe and silver and I pressed computer keys as quickly as I could to buy it. It was dirty and just needed a good clean and polish. Hallmarks show it as the silver being fitted in Birmingham, England in 1913. Stamps ID the pipe as a VR Made in France. The silver work is so good that even the fine threads mating the stem to the shank are silver. There are a few minor dings in the rim, but that is it for defects. Even the stem was (and is) free of toothmarks.

[​IMG]

2. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

Yet another case of pipe envy. You obviously have impeccable taste.

MacNutz likes this.
  3. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

Simply stunning.

4. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Member

Wow. Just wow. Now let's take a hacksaw and cut the silver off for scrap!:hbang:

5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

sure, but how's it smoke? :)

BradNTX likes this.
  6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Haha, I was reading down the thread, about to congratulate xrd on his new, fine looking pipe, and then your comment kind of hit home. So, what of it xrd? :ohyh:

7. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

it certainly is beautiful to look at.

8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

9. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

I've smoked this pipe more than a few times. In fact smoking some 965 (English tobacco, sort of English pipe) in it compelled me to post the thread. Pipe smokes great. Tobacco comes through clear as a bell. Silver gets a little hot, but one must sometimes suffer a little for ones pleasures.;)

10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

well it sure is a looker :th1:

11. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

Thanks, before I bought it I had no idea pipes like this existed. They typically show up in UK listings.

12. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I saw some meer on Ebay like that. They are cool looking.

13. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

Yeah, I dunno. The silver on these English pipes is the real deal. Like sterling silver. And it is hand engraved. It's pipe jewelry. The meers and French Briars sold in the US had thin stamped metal that was then plated with something shiny but not usually precious. Like this one currently for sale on eBay:

[​IMG]

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  14. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

What's those markings? Is this some kinda Illuminati or Masonic pipe with secrets to where to find the treasure?

15. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

Without going to look, I think the pyramid has the silversmith's mark. And then the hallmarks. The rest are pretty meaningless (so I believe) designs.

16. Mr Blandings

Mr Blandings Member

Beautiful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.