Epiphany

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jeremiahak, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeremiahak

jeremiahak Member

I can't get enough of this C&D Epiphany these days. It's slowing becoming my go to Toby. Anyone else have a love affair with this stuff? What are some other blends I should try if I'm fond of it?

2. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I like it. I think it has some Perique in it, so any "English" blend with Perique should do. It's a very basic "English" blend, which is why I like it - nothing fancy and a little on the one-dimensional side, but very well-behaved and balanced. Just a good solid smoke that you can sit back and enjoy, without any thought to anything but a relaxing bowl.

Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme is another pretty simple blend, but it's more of a "Balkan" because the emphasis is on the Orientals and not the Latakia. Pease Chelsea Morning is an easy-going and basic "English" blend that think you'd like if you like Epiphany. You might also like Mac Baren Solent Mixture. It's "English-Like," and it has its own wonderful thing going on. None of these blends have any Perique (at least not that I'm aware of), but I think you'd enjoy them. With the excepton of Chelsea Morning, they are all (even Epiphany) available in bulk from either Mars Cigars and Pipes or Cup O' Joes (both on-line vendors that take either credit card or money order) so they are very nice for cellaring.

Stonewall and SouthBound like this.
  3. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I'm very fond of Epiphany, also. Like Roy said, you can enjoy it without much effort. If a guy were looking for a blend to smoke all day while his hands and mind were otherwise occupied, Epiphany would be hard to beat. I had some clenched in a cob while I was weedeating and spraying Roundup earlier. Two tamps and one relight. It doesn't get any easier.

I would also recommend McB Solent. It has a little more latakia and a little less nicotine and requires a little more coaxing. However, its a great light English.

4. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I also enjoy Epiphany. I would consider C&D Plantation Evening and Odessa. All 3 blends have Perique in them.

5. RTOdhner

6. RTOdhner

What the heck? ^^

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I actually get a lot of nuance and depth out of this stuff. It was one of my Major Tobacco Discoveries of 2010. It's not just a "good smoke" to me - it's really a... ahem... revelation! :beck:

SouthBound likes this.
  8. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

It's a great blend, I agree. I was commenting more on its smokeability than its character. From a technical perspective, it doesn't require much attention to get it right. No harshness and tongue bite. Just good smoke.

9. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I just had an "aha" moment. Let me set the stage.

I have a lovely pipe. My little collection includes around 15 briars now. Suppose you asked me the following questions. Which one is the most attractive? Which one feels the best in your hand? Which one looks like it should smoke like a tire fire? I would answer the same each time, my Peterson Aran B5. The only question that this lovely hunk of briar can't answer is "Which one is your best smoker?" To be fair, it can't quite answer the worst smoker question, either.

Well, this evening I loaded it up with this "easy" blend, and something amazing happened. The flavors manifested. It was illuminating, sublime, divine. As it's secrets were revealed, the world spun more slowly, and I was filled with burning insight..........
    ........AHEM!

Well, you get the picture. I finally had a wonderful moment with a pipe I really want to love. A match made in heaven.

Enough said!

Stonewall and RTOdhner like this.
  10. RTOdhner

Isn't that moment of Pipe Zen just grand!

SouthBound likes this.
  11. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

It's why I keep smoking.

RTOdhner likes this.
  12. RTOdhner

Speaking of the search for some Pipe Zen, I think it's time to fill a pipe and grab an adult beverage.

13. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

You said it, brother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.