Erinmoore Flake!

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by StoneGiant, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

Took my second plunge in to tinned tobacco, I liked University Flake but it's just so strong and abrupt, I asked the guy for something similar (mainly something with burly in it) but less strong, and no Lakatia.

He handed me Erinmoore. Nice uniform little brown flakes, rubbed out easily, but I also kept some in flake form so I can try the fold and stuff method.

Took a few attempts to get it lit and going, but when it did it was like a revelation, this stuff is FANTASTIC, at least so far!

There's definitely burly in there, and virginia too, and something sweet and fruity almost imperceptible in the background. Whatever the casing is it tastes natural and fruity, but not overpoweringly so nor artificial, (like the smoking cherry chap stick experience of CB Cherry), it's just an accent to the tobacco. Just the right strength, burns nice, not to fast not to slow, I'm really digging this stuff.

I think I see why there's a pineapple on the tin art now, the slight fruity taste I'm getting seems sort of tropical like pineapple, but who knows what it really is.

Gonna try a bowl of rubbed out flake now, see if it differs from the flake folded and stuffed.

Mister Moo likes this.

2. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I read somewhere the Pineapple used to be the sign of quality and that is why it was used, not because of the topping...who knows?

Glad you enjoy it, I sure do when I smoke it.:puffy:

3. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Right you are...Pineapple= sign of quality, luxury, wealth etc..etc..etc.. ..Pineapple was a rare and expensive fruit in the 20's.....

I have also heard the Erinmoore is flavoured with Prunes......The flake version is only cased on the top layer of the plug before it's sliced and packed..The mixture is cased throughout the blend, hence the strong flavour..

50rayj and Mark w4mms like this.
  4. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

I really like UF, but lately it has been kicking my butt so I haven't smoked it recently. I have a tin of Erinmoore and have smoked a couple of flakes and I like it. Think I might smoke a bowl of this tomorrow because I haven't smoked in awhile.

5. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

WOW the seconds bowl of this is really sweet, I rubbed it out instead of folding. Still it's a good sweet, not a cloying overpowering blowtorch to a jawbreaker sweet.

50rayj likes this.
  6. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

There are lots of ideas on what the flavoring is on this one, but whatever it is, it's good stuff! I have a pipe dedicated just to this blend, I think I'll fire it up now!

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Nice write up on your experience. EF is one of the all time greats!

Mington likes this.
  8. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Me too! StoneGiant you started an Erinmoore party! :puffy:

Mington likes this.
  9. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I love Erimore but I've only tried the flake. I prefer less flavouring. The flake is perfect for me. I also quite like 1792, another strong flake but some don't like the tonquin taste.

10. Indypuffer

Indypuffer Member

Erinmore Flake is great stuff! UF is also great, but pretty strong.

Mington likes this.
  11. Capt

Capt Active Member

Am I the only one who hates it? Stuff bit worse than a rabid pitbull in heat. Very flat and an ashy after taste.

12. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Your not the only one, Capt. I don't care for it.

13. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I love the stuff and think it's truly a classic tobacco. Price is fair, flavor is great, smoking qualities are really nice, burns slowly, rubs out easily, and nice compact flakes which fill the bowl more than you'd expect. Despite how small the flakes are, it usually only takes one and a half to two flakes to fill a rather large bowl (for me)

14. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

Really? I loaded one flake and topped it off with a pinch of rubbed, and it kept expanding, had to tamp it a few times.

It's not perfect, the sweet is starting to be more noticeable after a third bowl, I think the rubbed is sweeter than the flake folded and stuff.

I'm tempted to mix it with some of my leftover rubbed out University Flake and see if that balances out the sweet. If I die from nicotine overdose you can have my avatar!

15. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Erinmore flake holds a special place in my affections, Grandpa used to smoke nothing else, and as a schoolboy I loved the aroma when visiting, and sitting listening to his tales. This was one of the things that first attracted me to the pipe, and I have smoked it intermitently - over the last fifty years. Of course - in those days it was Murrays....not made in a German or Scandinavian factory, as it is today - in common with the majority of our traditional British tobaccos. It has not however, lost much in the transition - unlike some blends which are but pale imitations of their former selves, and a good thing that I notice when on my travels, is the seemingly wide availability, and reasonable asking price.
    OT
    [​IMG]

Wicklow, Jussto and ol gto like this.
  16. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

EF is one of my top tobacco blends....love the stuff!
    I try to have one or two bowls every week, preferably on the weekends.

17. Mister Moo

Erinmore FLAKE or Erinmore MIXTURE, Capt?

The flake does ship very moist which, if smoked wet, perhaps, could put someone off who, perhaps, has not given it some dry-time, perhaps.

18. Capt

Capt Active Member

Flake. I am one to give a tobacco a chance, and I did with Erinmore. Just did not mix well with me.

19. Mister Moo

Those of us in the Erinmore-Juicy Fruit Flake fraternity want EVERYONE to like it. This is a difficult moment but - d'oh! It's over.

20. smokehouse

smokehouse Member

Now Im really excited to try this. Glad I just did a trade for some and have some coming my way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.