Erinmore Flake/Mixture

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ichabod, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ichabod

ichabod Member

I have read the descriptions of each and was just wondering if someone with experience might be able to answer...

What the difference between these two? Besides the obvious that one is in flake form and the other not.

From what I have gathered, it seems as though erinmore mixture is a bit more aromatic?

I'm interested in maybe trying these, have been saving a little to maybe make a purchase of a couple tins here soon and was trying to narrow my choices down. I'm leaning a little more towards the flake at the moment.

2. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I really like the Mixture, have not tried the flake yet, but have a tin waiting to open.... -David

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Most of the traditional British flakes (what's left of them!) Condor, St.Bruno etc. are very much the same as their ready-rubbed - or mixture variant, Erinmore definately is not!. I find it hard to describe some flavours, but the flake - which to me is stronger, in the St.Bruno style - I could happily smoke exclusively, if need be. The totaly different mixture - I can't abide!, puts me in mind of something MacBarren might put on the market!. BTW - if you like Latakia or English, as you guys call most things that contain it!. Erinmore does one that is very good IMO.
    OT

4. ichabod

ichabod Member

OT, you basically answered what I was curious about.

I knew they weren't the same but I guess because of the way they are labeled I thought I would ask. The labeling makes you think that they are the same, just one comes rubbed/ready and the other does not.

5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

It's strange! over here - the mixture is available OTC at just about any supermarket, and occasionaly I've had to buy some when away from home, but am not impressed at all. I often take a ferry to Belgium, where I buy Erinmore flake for a little over six euros per 50gm tin - naturaly I stock up! and even though it is not the Erinmore flake of my youth, that Grandpa smoked all the time, I still very much enjoy!
    OT

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

They are two totally different tobaccos.

7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I can't speak for the mixture, but the flake is just wonderful. I especially like it in my Peterson Sherlock Holmes Original, which I've dedicated to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.