Escudo too dry?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DConfer, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DConfer

DConfer Member

I got a tin of Escudo and the first bowl I smoked I couldn't keep lit. I never had coin tobacco before so I rubbed some out and left it sit for about an hour. When I smoked it, I got a blast of hot bitterness that was very unpleasant. Is this blend finnicky if it gets too dry? Or is this typical of VaPer's? (I'm new to VaPer's but never had this issue with H&H Anniversary Kake, McConnell's Scottish Cake, etc.)

2. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

I usually just let my tin sit out and typically don't give it any drying time, but then again I'm not picky. If I only get half a bowl because the bottom is a goupy mess, I'm still pleased. As the tin sits, it does dry the tobacco, providing a better smoke. Though I'm slightly worried that it may be too dry at the moment, haven't touched it for a month or so.

3. DConfer

DConfer Member

Thanks - I'll have to play around with moisture in this blend.

4. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

Yea, my best guess is that you did dry it too long. I've never really paid attention to the moisture content, but I think I left the tin with out the lid on for a few hours after first opening it. Then from there its kinda luck of the draw for me.

5. DConfer

DConfer Member

At first I couldn't get the coins apart - they were so stuck together. Kind of like the flakes first out of the tin of FVF. Maybe I did dry them too much.

6. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

Yea I still have trouble getting some coins apart.

7. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Escudo is good right out of the tin; I sandwich the center of a disc between more rubbed out stuff.

It takes the first third of the bowl for the mellow and sweet to kick in.

user2725, Dondi and Bradabelko4 like this.
  8. DConfer

DConfer Member

It was definitely a good smoke before I got the moisture out of whack. I got great peppery-ness and some sweetness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.