Escudo

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mike Pomery, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Wow... I haven't been that blown away at first puff since Davidoff Royalty, back when I was first smoking pipes a couple of years back.

That really has to be one of the best VA/PERs out there.

How do you guys tackle those coins? I folded on into a cannon ball, and it wasn't enough to fill the pipe. Two cannon balls were too many, and I ended up rubbing it out this time around.

2. IHT

IHT Member

i just rub out the coins. it normally takes me 1.5 coins as well. i fold them in half, then rub them out.
    you'll hear some ppl talk about "folding and stuffing", but i'd like to see exactly what they're talking about. i've never attempted it, and escudo has been my favorite tobacco for years. i just go with rubbing the coins out.

3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I'd say, as a huge Escudo fan, experience dictates how you smoke it. Start by rubbing out a slightly dry coin and fill/tamp lightly to learn expansion and flavor characteristics. Advance to folded, stuffed and rolled flakes over a dozen tins.

People who love Escudo will kill for Reiner #71 Long Golden Flake.

:thumbsu:

4. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

:thumbsu: , :innocent:

5. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

I love my Escudo, but it's been difficult to find around here. A good substitute is Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake, especially with some age on it. My 3 yr old LBF (bulk, mind you) is a near perfect match to this last tin of Escudo........

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'm probably the only dissenting voice here! This is a tobacco I've kept trying over the years - its attraction to me was always that it was billed as a totally straight tobacco free of additives, toppings and casings.

Sadly for me it has always left me with an unusually dry mouth and an after taste like asprins, regardless of whether I've smoked it in a briar or a meer.

When I have smoked it, I've always rubbed it out gently, British style and it's lit and smoked just fine.

My own personal preference is Mc Clelland's Beacon - that is a superb smoke,

Happy smoking anyway!

Gerry

7. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

In a second attempt, I rolled it, or more accurately folded it lengthways twice, and bent one end up to meet the middle of the coin, leaving the looser end for my matches up top. This worked very well, filling the pipe bowl up 3/4s with one coin. After a charring light, I tamped it down to create the desired even surface.

This sort of lazy roll really suits a flake (small, narrow) pipe really well.

8. Mister Moo

I was once a big fan of PS/LBF, t-bear, but it seems to me to have fallen off in the past couple of years. Tried anything recent or are you only working of aged gear?

9. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Three-four old tobacco, Moo. I have some from this spring jarred....hate to disturb it though. I'm going to trust in the baccy gods and leave it. LOL LOL

10. Mister Moo

I would have recommended this vaper+cavendish as equal to Escudo but the stuff I've been buying (bulk from a local guy) has been way off for a while. I might oughta try another outlet to compare.

dbt13 likes this.
  11. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I bought 4 ozs of PS LBF about 2 months ago and it is goooooood. I don't have anything to compare it with as far as current LBF vs older LBF. I do have a tin of Escudo and I like LBF just as much.

12. IHT

IHT Member

Off topic: i don't find LBF anywhere near the same as Escudo. Older LBF, that is. Too much like straw/hay/grass for my tastes.

13. Mister Moo

I didn't say it well when I said, "equal." I didn't mean to imply they taste identical. I should have said I liked them equally well - different, but both high on my list.

14. IHT

IHT Member

ah, i believe it was T-bear that said it.
    anyway, tastes are subjective to the person attached to them.

15. CBR

CBR Member

I've got a tin of Escudo and a sample of LBF flake cellared away, after reading this thread I can't wait to crack them open! :groucho:

16. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I caught myself staring at my opened tin of Escudo saying "You're next"!

Loaded up a MM-Washington with an Escudo "bomb" and it smoked so heavenly! That was followed by a MM CCSS "Blondie" with a "bigger bomb"! Truly is a GREAT Tobacco! Glad it's still being made. Stokkebye makes it now right?

Has anyone tried PS LBF but with the cavendish plug knocked out? Of course, save the cavy-coinlets for a later smoke that's cav-rich I guess.

17. raf66

raf66 Member

This is one of my all-time favorite tobaccos of any genre, and I too rub the coins out completely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.