Escudo

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Tairusu, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tairusu

Tairusu Member

I got my TAD in the mail today, and I can't sing the praises of escudo enough! What a wonderful tasting Va/Per! Initially I wasn't going to try it today, because I have this annoying cough and thought a spicy blend might set it off.... oh man I'm glad I took a chance on it.

That said, I'm getting a lot of juices out of it right now and that's not too pleasant. Is it just too moist? It's lighting easy, not gurgling, and smoking fine but I almost have to keep a spitter next to me for all the baccy juice that is accumulating in my mouth. I've run a pipe cleaner through the stem twice and pulled more gunk out than I care to look at. I will dry longer and try again, but has any one else run into this problem with Escudo?

2. Albert

Albert Active Member

I just lit my first bowl of the stuff this morning too. it did seem moist but i had it in a cob and ive never got an ounce of juice out of that pipe. love at first puff for sure! maybe ill try it in my kaywoodie super gurgler and see what happens.

3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I am certified jointly and separately under ISO-9017 (2009) by the Bureau de Pipers Internationale/Geneva, AC Peterson and Peter Stokkebye as an Escudo 1st Degree Whore. You can take this to the bank: It ships moist.

Wise Escudo birds will test-dry a series of coins to varying degrees and decide what works best for them in the preferred pipe. Personally, I like it such that when you bend a flake in half it mostly splinters along the bend. I suggest you let it dry a good bit, rub it out well and fill loosely for smoking (until you are certified) and maybe get cozy with half-bowls to figure out the tamping and expansion characteristics. Or cram and jam and let time take care of everything :D Sometimes I just let a new tin sit open overnight before smoking; sometimes I take the flakes out smoke-by-smoke and let them pre-dry before filling a pipe; and sometimes I smoke them too moist and rely on pipecleaners and relights to get thru a big bowl. it's all good if you don't plug up the pipe.

It's a great stuff, Escudo.

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

You think it's great now.......get some age on it 10mos or better....it becomes way better. A wonderful smoke! Get some tins to age. You'll be glad you did.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

5. slprl1

slprl1 Member

Escudo is great. Bake it in an oven at 250 degrees for about 3 hours. Let it cool and enjoy. The difference is major.

6. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Add me to the Escudo fan club, it's my favorite blend. It does ship moist and needs to be dried out, I like mine pretty dry. And a year on a tin really does turn it into a marvelous blend.

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

+1 on drying it out. I too have recently discovered the joys of Escudo (where has this stuff been all my life?). It is wonderful, but very moist out of the tin, in my opinion. First go 'round, I dried a couple of coins out for about 4 hours (I really only expected to do about and hour or two, but stuff came up). It wasn't quite crispy, but was still a little dry for my taste. The second time I dried them for about an hour and loved it. Experiment a little bit, and I'll guarantee that there's an amazing smoke in your future.

8. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Or cannonball it straight from the tin and smoke it slowly in a Sasquatch... Just sayin'...

9. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Another Escudo whore here....needs serious drying from the tin, but WELL worth your time! And as others have said, let it age...a year at the least...3-5 years is heavenly!

10. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Does anyone taste any difference in Escudo and Dunhill's Navy Rolls? They might not be identical but they are very similar to me.

11. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

All true. It didn't used to be so, but nowadays it needs age and even with age it needs drying time. I found it harsh and unrefined when new and fresh from the tin.

12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I've heard that, but I have yet to try the Dunhill.

Then again, they might be identical and not just similar!

13. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I guess I'll have to try drying some out. I have a two+ year old tin opened now. I prefer VA's wet, but everyone here has got me thinking again...

...oow!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.