Esoterica..Penzance & stoneheaven. Need your help!!!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by TheMadMan, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Member

Ok, I know many of you PSF members just recently picked up and are currently smoking these two blends. My question is what type of pipe & style are all you smoking this blend in that's giving you the most flavor. Also do you designate a pipe for each of these blends?

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

For Stonehaven I use any old pipe that I smoke burleys in. It doesn't seem all that finicky. A meerschaum gives a great flavor, and I like it in briars, too. Don't remember if I've had it in a cob, but I'd be surprised if that wasn't a killer smoke.

With Penzance I use any pipe I would smoke an English blend in, and generally (though certainly not always) a wider but shallower bowl. My Savinelli 315ks (large prince) loves the stuff.

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  3. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I've been smoking Penzance in a Dunhill (group 4). This pipe has recently been dedicated to Lat blends, especially Penz. The combo is pure heaven.

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Elitist tobacco in an elitist pipe...you elitist!! :)

5. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Penzance in a Digby Bulldog so far..and that is fantastic. I need to try it in my Savinelli EX bulldog (but it is too damn hot to be out smoking for 2 hours) and my straight apple.

The bulldogs are English dedicated...the apple...not sure yet. Apple test tomorrow.

6. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

What WJ said, exactly. But his is prettier (jerk).

Don't have a dedicated Stonehaven pipe. Have tried several - none the perfect match.

TheMadMan and WrightwoodJohn like this.
  7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Obviously Stonehaven just isn't your thing - you should send the rest of it to me, I'll take good care of it for you :)

Spillproof likes this.
  8. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

All of my pipes are bent, with the exception being one straight. I'm able to get pipe cleaners down all of my bents. If you're just getting into these tobaccos, I'd suggest you go with a straight as they are much easier to get a pipe cleaner in them. You're probably going to want to keep your pipe clean to insure the best possible smoke. I smoke a lot of Penzance so I know it produces some gunk in the bottom of the bowl.

Pick a pipe you know you can get a pipe cleaner all the way in. Use pipe cleaners often.

9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I seem to prefer Penzance in a clay (Meerschaum's too). Stonehaven works just as well for me in a Meer or a few select briars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.