Esoterica? What's the deal?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mr Bojangles, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Bojangles

Mr Bojangles Member

If their stuff is so great, why don't they make more of it? I've tried Penzance and really liked it, but I don't understand why anyone with any business sense would choose to produce such small quantities of something when the demand is so high. It's not like they're getting the profits from people selling their product at insanely marked up prices in the second hand market.

2. jwh891

jwh891 Member

It hasn't always been this scarce has it? I remember when I first started smoking it was usually available...that was around two years ago. Should have picked some up then.

3. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

My guess is that it takes a while to manufacture and cure the stuff. Maybe they are a small outfit and they just don't have the capacity to make the millions of pounds of Penzance that people want.
    Demand has gone up but they just can't supply at that rate.

4. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

In some ways you gotta appreciate a company who makes sure product quality is the #1 priority. Look at it another way, they could outsource or crank up production and buy new machinery and facilities and we'd all sit around and lament the loss of the pre' whatever penz and stonehaven. We would all say it was so much better when Germain was still doing it the old way.

jpberg, Old Codger and rondel65 like this.
  5. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

Yup. I just figure I'll get it when I can. I don't want mass produced OTC Penzance.

jpberg likes this.
  6. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

I read that its a small company and that some of their blends take a long time to produce.

7. Mr Blandings

Mr Blandings If you ain't eatin' Wham, you ain't eatin' ham!

I met a guy at the Chicago show and he told me that there's only about a dozen people working at the factory. They do custom blends for many shops, in addition to the esoterica line and of course, their own. Personally, I like everything that comes out of their factory its well worth waiting for.

Slow Tri, rondel65 and David Emond like this.
  8. Brian Stephen

Brian Stephen Member

This.
    As Germain's laughs all the way to the bank. ;)

9. Biggles

Biggles Member

I blame internet pipe forums for the increased demand :booty: and tip my hat to Germain's for maintaining their standards.

Brian Stephen and David Emond like this.
  10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Thank the Lord we aren't hearing "GEEZ THESE GUYS COULD BE ZILLIONAIRS IF THEYD JUST RAMP UP PRODUCTION!!!).

Think of all the tobacco producing outfits in the UK that have come and gone in the time that Germain has been in business. Who's left? Samuel Gawith, Gawith Hoggarth & Co., and Germain. Fer Chrissakes, we're getting all giddy about a Danish outfit making relatively unimpressive tobaccos and sticking it in tins labeled to look like old UK blends. It's nuts. (I will not veer off into a rant asking what in the holy hell Germain was thinking with the BS reissue, I've done that enough.)

I want these three outfits to take their sweet time, I want them to do it right, hell, they can take a couple months off if they want. When I smoke their tobaccos, I know what I'm smoking, and I know I'm smoking tobacco that has gone through the same process that it's gone through for a damned long time, and that's the way I want it.

It's part smoke, part tradition, and part history, and it's a good thing.

11. Mr Bojangles

Mr Bojangles Member

I've only been smoking a pipe for a few months so I didn't realize it used to be more readily available. I guess it's hard to believe with the anti-smoking sentiment these days, demand for something like this would go up.

12. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Member

It certainly has a lot of hype surrounding it so it must be really good. Right? I have neither seen or tried it and likely won't go out of my way to as it has latakia in it.

David Emond likes this.
  13. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I would guess that soon there will be a new "It" tobacco. The hype will drive demand to silly levels and all of a suddden the Esoterica blends will be readily available.

David Emond and Huby Springer like this.
  14. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

It is what it is. Penzance is that good but I wont pay above the fair market price to acquire it. I managed to get my hands on some Stonehaven a month ago but I have no intention of opening the bag just yet. I'll let it get some age on it and save it for my 50th in two years if I can't get some more before then.

David Emond likes this.
  15. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Jar it, those bags may have mini pin holes in them. You knever know.

Ol Brokedik and Brian Stephen like this.
  16. rondel65

I have thought of that possibilty. I was thinking of taking it to my local meat market and have them put it in shrink wrap to leave it intact. Got some ribeyes awhile back individualy wrapped in that thick wrap they use. I'm sure they wont mind for a few bucks.

David Emond likes this.
  17. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I would actually be surprised if they charged you anything, especially if you are a regular customer.

18. rondel65

You would think. Your probably right. It's just such an off the wall request that I would offer to pay. I'll pick up some habanera pineapple beef jerky for there troubles.

19. Mr Blandings

Mr Blandings If you ain't eatin' Wham, you ain't eatin' ham!

I just picked up a pound of Stonehaven which is been unavailable for the past two years in my neck of the woods. I know what I'll be smoking this evening!

MacNutz and Brian Stephen like this.
  20. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

You can't rush perfection. Neither Stonehaven or Penzance could be rushed through production and remain the same. The special beauty would be lost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.