1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

estate pipe prices

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by idiotbox37, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

i know make/model/condition matter a lot but in general, what kind of discount can i get w/ an estate pipe? 40%?

i've been bidding on ebay and keep getting bid sniped! i think part of the problem is i'm lowballing not knowing the real value of the pipes. i'm only bidding on major manufacturers.

thanks!

2. telltime

telltime Active Member

You kind of answered your own question with the opening sentence... there are just too many variables to make such a generalization.

You may snag a pipe very cheaply because of poor photos, poor description, or it being listed in such a way that collectors miss it. On the other hand, the bids may enter the stratosphere if a couple of folks decide they "must" have that pipe.

Best way for you to determine prices on eBay is not so much by a percentage off. Do an advanced search on closed items on the brand(s) you are looking at and see the closing prices to get an idea of what you should expect to pay.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I don't think there is a consistent formula available. It depends on so many factors...the most important being what are you willing to pay?

I think for personal use, a 40% price cut on a used, brand name pipe, in VG to exc. shape, may be a good starting point.

Your best bet is to watch ebay for similar items...as they end, take notice of their price and condition. It can be a sort of baseline reading for your eventual purchases.

Of course, with enough lead time, you could always ask some of the old hands here about a specific pipe. There is enough experience here to help you decide value on most known pipes.

I have to re stress though, in the end, its your money, and your decision. If it feels good, than you did well regardless.

4. ichabod

ichabod Member

If you are getting outbid and losing to bids in the the price range of what you are willing to pay then just make your first bid the highest amount that you are willing to pay for that pipe.

If nobody else bids on it the price will stay low and you may not even have to pay the highest amount you are willing, but if someone does and you are still willing to pay more then you are covered and are still the highest bidder.

5. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Here's my bidding strategy:

Pipe sells new for > $250: I bid 1/3 the new price.
    Pipe sells new for < $250: I bid 1/2 the new price.
    In both cases I let the software automatically increase bids up to my maximum, and the percentages get adjusted downwards for condition issues.

Bidding wars can happen, and I stay out of them. Saw a used Wiley grade 9, worth maybe $50, go for well over $100 lately. There can be some deals, though. Just keep trying and don't get sucked in.

6. Beale

Beale Active Member

I have bought 2 now off of the bay. I got a Dr. Grabow for 13.00 shipped. I just won an unsmoked Italy pipe? 19.00 shipped, Beale.

7. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Condition, Shape and Brand seem to be the largest factors in general terms with estate sales. If you aren't picky the best deals can be had on older generic estates in desperate need of a reaming. The most dangerously overpriced pipes seem to be the lightly smoked one as sometimes there is a reason they weren't smoked too often (gurgly etc.)

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It used to be that a used [ estate ] pipe was worth 50 % of that same pipe at retail . I've seen used pipes go for almost as much , the same , or more on ebay ... unreal . These days who knows :dunno:

9. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Many of my pipes are off ebay. My first rule is to have a good idea of a pipe's value before I bid on it. Often I see new Grabows and Kaywoodies starting for more than you'd pay at a B&M or reputable e-tailer. These get a pass. I also drop out of auctions when the bids go over that price. Sure, I "lost" many auctions, but there's no point in paying more than something's actually worth.

Lots of factors play into an estate pipe's value, collectability and condition being the main ones. If you're willing to invest time and elbow grease into restoring an estate pipe, you can often find great deals on ebay. I've never thought much about saving X percent but more about setting a spending limit and keeping to it no matter how heated the bidding gets.

10. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

that is good advice. i'll stop worrying about actual value and consider it's value to me and how much i'm willing to spend on it.

on a similar note, I see "vintage" being used a lot on estate pipe sales. what does that generally mean? rarely do these "vintage" sales include a manufacturing date so is it just a buzz word to get views?

i just bought a "vintage" peterson for $23 shipped. needs some slight clean up but looks great in the pics.

11. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Vintage is usually a code word for dirty, gnawed and scratched. Ignore that word unless there is only one, blurry picture in which case bid $2.00 max., as a kind of general strategy.

To bid and buy wisely on eBay you gotta do your homework first.

12. r0n54

r0n54 Member

As others here have said, set a spending limit and stick to it. If the limit is reached and you are out bid then you really didnt get taken, as can happen in a bidding war. And that being the case you really didnt need that pipe anyways, another that you really want will come along again before too long !

13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Yes. Before the internet days, if a $200 new pipe got hit with its first match, the estate price for that piece was $100. Some shops charged more but 50% was the rule.

These days if I see something I want, I use that same rule, unless it's something I feel like I have to have. On the other hand, for every pipe I miss, I find two more like it for sale within a few months. I find its best to keep my own internal maximum price tag in mind and adhere to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.