Estate Pipe Stem Blockage! Please Help

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Otoolefan, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Got a few more pipes today at a local flea market. The two I like best, those are the two that are causing all kinds of problems with regards to the stem. After unscrewing the stem on the first pipe (which wasn't easy), I saw that there was a brown soaked filter still in there. Foolishly, I thought I could just yank it out of there. But that didn't happen; instead the tip of the filter came off in my hand and that was it. I then got out the needdle nose and couldn't get it out with those, either. I was able to get tiny bits and pieces out, but nothing more. I then tried my Czech tool, but have been unable to get it out of there. Consequently, I've been soaking it in hot water & OxyClean, but what's left of the filter is stuck way down in there now. I'm stumped now as to what do! Any ideas??

The other pipe just has gunk in that stem, some of which I've been able to get out with the Czech tool, but the airway is still totally blocked. Any ideas on this one? Just keep soaking it in hot water?

I've been at this off and on for like 3 hours and have NOTHING to show for it. Arrgh!!

Don

2. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Wet a pipe cleaner with alcohol (booze or whatever you use), and put it in the stem. Let it soak for a while. You may have to try a bit to get it in there. Even if it wont go in, prop it up so the booze will flow off the pipe cleaner onto the blockage. The booze should loosen it up. Then, if you dont have one already, get yourself a shank brush, and just give it hell...

ruffinogold likes this.
  3. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Soak the stem in vodka overnight and let it loosen it all up.

4. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

You might try a drill bit and just turn it by hand, or with a pair of pliers.

LifeOfRiley and ruffinogold like this.
  5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Give it hell ! :th1:

You could also get a drill bit [ a wood one ] that's a tad smaller than what the filters is .. and kind of wiggle it around a bit and maybe rip it up and get it out .The drill bit has an edge that might catch better than something smooth

6. ruffinogold

I see you been there too :xd:

7. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

Oh yes, I actually have a pin vise, basically a miniature drill chuck for doing shanks by hand.

I've cleaned up some pretty nasty estates over the years.

[​IMG]

dBear and ruffinogold like this.
  8. ruffinogold

That ones awesome !

9. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

All good suggestions! I have a little bit of EVERCLEAR left, & some vodka. Also, have tiny drill bits with my baby dremel. Will keep you posted! And then post pics of the two pipes I'm trying to free!

rondel65 and User3940 like this.
  10. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

How did that pipe ever get so caked?...

dBear likes this.
  11. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

LOL I have no idea, it was in a box lot I bought on eBay a few years ago. It cleaned up and was a good smoker, it may still be kicking around here somewhere.

12. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

+1 on the drill bit, preferably in a pin vise, but locking pliers work well too

13. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Success!! At least with one pipe--and the one that had a decomposed filter in it! It seems that alcohol (EVERCLEAR, Tequilla,Vodka) was the magic trinity, plus a skinny drill bit I turned by hand. The final purge of that filter was orgasmic. Seeing that last ball of dead filter pop out--that was bliss! It's a sandblast pipe, but I can't find a maker's mark, save for the markings that say, "Klean Draft" & "Real Briar", plus an insignia that looks kind of like a child's spinning top.... Here's a pic of said pipe: ~ http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/O...pg.html?&_suid=137136277973307997332624741811

rondel65 likes this.
  14. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Just another reason to leave those filters out;)
    Congratulations on getting that out of there:th1:

15. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Zactly! Have you ever heard of a "Klean-Draft" pipe? I see it on pipe id page, but doesn't give any info about whatsover!

16. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

I checked around google and a few other forums, other than the id marking I found squat.
    Kinda sure some more learned sages will chime in when they wake up.
    And oddball tubes or stinger inside of it?

17. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

No, just a spot for a filter, I guess. Even though without it and completely clean, the draw seems perfect, like there's a stinger in there. And I'm damned sure not gonna put another filter in this pipe!! Nice looking pipe, isn't it? I've found it hard to find black sandblasted pipes. Just like the kind my Uncle smoked--I'm sure that was the kind that was returned to him by his neighbor at Disney World. I seem to remember every one of my Uncle's pipes as black sandblast, with maybe a drak brown rusticated Westbrook...

18. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

The other pipe I'm lettin soak overnight is a "Hawthorne". Kind of a bulldog with a saddle bit.

Thuber88 likes this.
  19. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

I had a black rustyKated Billiad years ago, nice big bowl but light weight, I did not know any better at the time, so I tapped out the ashes onto something hard and it snapped off at the bowl/stem junction, was kind of my favorite up to that point, even though I obviously had no clue what I was doing:mad:

20. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

D'uh! Can't find any info on "Hawthorne" brand pipes, either. Have a similar bulldog saddle bit I got today that says "Erlich" on it. And, I think, "Boston."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.