• This section of the forum was maintained by our good friend Mister Moo who was taken from us last year
    Recent topics are being moved and this section is now closed and preserved in memory of Dan

Estate Pipes-Different Taste?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I have many estate pipes but I have yet to smoke any of them they have mostly been for display but now I wish to smoke them.

My question is; when you smoke an estate pipe, are there any old flavors that stick with it? Would the old taste of the tobacco that was once smoked in it stay in it? Or would a couple smokes with a new tobacco clear it out? If it does stay, is it very noticeable? or is it just subtle?

Thanks.

ruffinogold

Mayor
You've cleaned them first I assume . A pipe can still have a ghost after cleaning . I thought I'd mention cleaning being that they are used and it's sanitary to do so .... just in case

woody

Admin
Staff member
Admin
You've cleaned them first I assume . A pipe can still have a ghost after cleaning . I thought I'd mention cleaning being that they are used and it's sanitary to do so .... just in case
Most definitely, a through cleaning in mandatory on estates.

Arkie

If you have cleaned them they should be ready to smoke. If they have excessive cake in the chamber you will need to ream them.

Smoker99

Reamed back to a thin cake and cleaned with PGA, or as close as you can get to it, and it should be good to go. All according to what has been smoked in it, the ghosts will eventually go away.

Falconeer

Hi All,

Good advice from the lads to date. All I can add is that if after cleaning and reaming there's still a ghost - try a few bowls of 5 Brothers, Prince Albert or Carter Hall and any of these should shift it.

Imho Estate Pipes make in the main great smokers as often the briar itself is of a better quality than is now available and the wood itself has had time to really dry out and mature.

Happy smoking!

Gerry

Marc

Hi All,

Good advice from the lads to date. All I can add is that if after cleaning and reaming there's still a ghost - try a few bowls of 5 Brothers, Prince Albert or Carter Hall and any of these should shift it.

Imho Estate Pipes make in the main great smokers as often the briar itself is of a better quality than is now available and the wood itself has had time to really dry out and mature.

Happy smoking!

Gerry
+1 Gerry is spot on!

Status
Not open for further replies.