1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Estate Savinelli question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by kreinhard, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreinhard

kreinhard Member

I picked up a nifty Savinelli Punto Oro from feePay this week. It arrived lightning quick, and looks great. I have a question, though...how do I tell if this is one that takes the balsa filters or not? The tenon on it looks pretty small to be shoving a triangle of wood in, but maybe the balsa piece is very small. :dunno: Is there any distinguishing marks or characteristics to look for to help me figure this out? I feel somewhat silly asking...

2. ryan65

ryan65 Member

i also have a punto oro and should take either balsa or the plastic piece that comes with it to put in the tenon. perhaps the plastic piece is already in it? did you try pulling it off?

3. kreinhard

kreinhard Member

You know, I pulled the stem off and the tenon doesn't seem to have any parts that come apart. It's a stepped affair, but looks to be all one piece.

4. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

If it is stepped it probably has the insert in it already. The insert is slightly conical (mine is, at least) which makes it fit quite snug, try twisting it some to loosen the piece, it may be stuck in with built up tars. The thinnest part of the tenon sticking out should be the insert, that is the part that gets removed leaving a 6mm opening to fit the filter into.

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

6. kreinhard

kreinhard Member

Nope. Then tenon seems to be milled right out of the same piece of vulcanite(?) used for the stem; an integral unit. I'll try and get a picture of it tonight and post it up.

EDIT: The pipe smokes really well, regardless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.