every once in a while, it happens!

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Old Ted, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I suppose that as we get older, we don't (or at least in my case!) get excited over things quite so easily, and perhaps become a little blase'. In regard to tobacco - I've had one or two regular favorites that I've smoked for many years, and though I often try something new, it's been a long time since a new-to-me blend put a big grin on my face - half way through a bowl, but it happened last night.
    Yesterday friend Morse (Ross) and his charming wife and daughter on vacation over here, made a very early start to the day and drove around three hundred miles north to meet up with me and Mrs. OT. After an enjoyable 'whistle stop' tour of the moorland area here - during which we managed to smoke a bowl each, it was (all too soon!) time for them to head even further on their journey. Ross had very generously brought me a gift of tobacco, some GLP 'Triple Play' and 'Jacknife Plug', and back home curiousity got the better, and before bed I cracked the tin of Triple Play and smoked a bowl in a large meerschaum that had not seen service for a few months.
    Like I said - being a little blase' and having been disappointed many times over new stuff, I was not expecting too much with this blend.....but WOW! - big surprise!, this is easily the the best tobacco from across the pond, that I have tried - to date!. I have yet to sample the 'Jacknife', but if it is as good as 'Triple Play' - I shall be delighted. The combination of a fresh, dry meer filled with that plug after a tiring but very enjoyable day, sent me to bed - a very contented 'old fart':)
    OT

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

Yes indeed, a teriffic blend! Glad you got to meet up while he was on holiday.

Mington likes this.
  3. Morse

Morse Active Member

Glad you liked it Ted - it was a great visit and thanks for the hospitality. I havent quite yet made the move to plugs but will no doubt get there eventually.

Mington, Beefcube and Old Ted like this.
  4. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Pictures??

Mington likes this.
  5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Excellent.

6. furious

furious Junque collector

Gotta try some of that stuff. Great story, OT!

7. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

There are some nice surprises out there. I've also had a long established comfort relationship with a tobacco that when it abruptly came to an end, was quite discomforting. Happy that you found one that gave you a good grin. Hope that you find more of them. Enjoy!

IrishRover likes this.
  8. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Hah... when you say very contented old fart it conjures up perhaps a different image than what you intended. :puffy:

9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Sometimes surprises are good ones. Great read!

IrishRover likes this.
  10. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Sounds like a nice visit!! It's great when the palate can be shocked into a delicious blend too.

11. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Hi OT,
    GL Pease really did a great job with those two tobacco's. I personally like the Jacknife Plug more than the Triple Play but both are superb. They get much better with a little age on them. I am glad to hear you enjoyed them so much.

Paul

12. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Great story!
    I had a small sample to Jacknife way back when it came out and enjoyed it.
    I heard Triple Play is great and that is going atop the TAD list now!

13. jdto

jdto Active Member

Nice story. And onto the TAD list she goes.

14. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Same here! lol

15. len smetona

len smetona Member

Ha. You discovered another good tobacco name:

contented old fart

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.