Everything seems to mild???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverFox

So as I have mentioned in my intro thread and another I am very new to pipes.

Smoked cigars for a long time and no intent to switch from one to the other. I enjoy the pipe in a different way than cigars.

Having said that here is the stable of tobacco's that I have had at least one bowl of so far

Brigham Mixtures
-Morning Pleasure
-English Mixture
-Natural Cavendish
-Commonwealth

Tins
-MacBaren Burley London Mixture
-G.L. Pease Blackpoint
-Ashton Winding Road
-Davidoff English Mixture

Now all of these in my opinion are very very mild on flavor and with the exception of the Ashton and Pease mild to the point of not likely I will smoke them.

Am I alone in this..........is it Aromatics I need to try? I have ordered a bunch of new tins based on strength of flavor and some strong aromatics in hopes of lighting my fire so to speak. I don't care about nic kick.......it doesn't phase me and I don't look for it so that isn't what I am looking for. Also I don't just want a tobacco tasting tobacco (now that just sounds daft) I have many cigars and what I love about them is how one can taste of caramel and coffee and the next tastes of spices and worn leather. I love flavorful cigars but not super spicy (think partagas if you smoke cigars)

I could post the list of tobaccos that I have sent off for but I would really rather here the thoughts of this group...........there appears to be thousands of years of experience on here.........surely I am not the only one that has this issue.

I don't want to give it up................I truly savor the experience.............its the taste and aroma that seems to be missing.

jvande7

You like worn leather taste? Go with Squadron Leader by Samuel Gawith. It tastes like worn leather in the best possible way.

You mentioned caramel and coffee? Try WO Larsen's Old Fashioned. It has that butterscotch/caramel flavor.

Sounds like you did right by ordering some strong aro's. Seems like they'll be right up your alley. It also sounds like you might be an English blend kind of guy. I'm sure the knowledgable guys here will give you some better help shortly but that's my $.02

Zanaspus

I have one word for you...

Gawith & Hoggarth Dark Flake Unscented. :icon_dribble:

(well, ok, that's 5 or 6 depending how you count, but you get the point.)

This is my "I love rich tobacco taste and want my arse kicked with a nic buzz" go to love affair.

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
Everything isn't for everybody - there's that.

Do you snork? Are your pipes clean-clean-clean? Stems swabbed out with bristle cleaners and alcohol now and then?

There are certainly elements of flavor presence that are more prominent to some than others but if you're a guy well familiar with sorting out cigar flavors then pipe flavors should stand out. It makes me wonder if you have a good palate but you've mixed too many tobacco genres in too few pipes. Do you have a meerschaum to resolve that?

Fact is that I like strong, flavorful, punchy cigars (Tatuajes, La Aurora Cien Anos, Opus, Anejo, etc.) and nev er found that pipe tobacco, by comparison, was lacking - different, but not lacking. Since I'm not familiar with the blends you've tried I can only suggest a few garden variety blends that come through loud and clear for me including:

oriental: Samual Gawith Squadron Leader, Rattrays Red Rapparee
english: Stokkebye Proper English
burley: MacBarens Navy Flake
cavendish: McClelland Navy Cavendish
virginia: Dan Hamborger Veermaster, Samual Gawith Full Virginia Flake
virginia perique: AC Peterson Escudo, Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake
aromatic: Samual Gawith 1792
other: Gawith & Hoggarth Dark Flake (scented or unscented)

I think anyone would agree, love them or not, each of these tobaccos has a distinct standout character. If they don't deliver for you, smoked slow in a clean pipe, maybe you are just not destined to find nirvana in briar. I would call that a heartbreaker!

Personally, further to your comment atop, I have not yet found an Ashton or GL Pease blend that does a thing for me - others mileage varies considerably. You sure those pipes are clean and not badly ghosted? I am not going to give you back to cigars without a fight. :D

SilverFox

Mister Moo said:
Everything isn't for everybody - there's that.

Do you snork? Are your pipes clean-clean-clean? Stems swabbed out with bristle cleaners and alcohol now and then?

There are certainly elements of flavor presence that are more prominent to some than others but if you're a guy well familiar with sorting out cigar flavors then pipe flavors should stand out. It makes me wonder if you have a good palate but you've mixed too many tobacco genres in too few pipes. Do you have a meerschaum to resolve that?

Fact is that I like strong, flavorful, punchy cigars (Tatuajes, La Aurora Cien Anos, Opus, Anejo, etc.) and nev er found that pipe tobacco, by comparison, was lacking - different, but not lacking. Since I'm not familiar with the blends you've tried I can only suggest a few garden variety blends that come through loud and clear for me including:

oriental: Samual Gawith Squadron Leader, Rattrays Red Rapparee
english: Stokkebye Proper English
burley: MacBarens Navy Flake
cavendish: McClelland Navy Cavendish
virginia: Dan Hamborger Veermaster, Samual Gawith Full Virginia Flake
virginia perique: AC Peterson Escudo, Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake
aromatic: Samual Gawith 1792
other: Gawith & Hoggarth Dark Flake (scented or unscented)

I think anyone would agree, love them or not, each of these tobaccos has a distinct standout character. If they don't deliver for you, smoked slow in a clean pipe, maybe you are just not destined to find nirvana in briar. I would call that a heartbreaker!

Personally, further to your comment atop, I have not yet found an Ashton or GL Pease blend that does a thing for me - others mileage varies considerably. You sure those pipes are clean and not badly ghosted? I am not going to give you back to cigars without a fight. :D
Each tin has had its own Cob to this point. The Brighams where smoked in my Brigham Pipe and I have cleaned it thoroughly.

Yup I am snorking, and I can discern many flavours. The Ashton and the Pease especially.

The Pease has this distinct smokiness to it.....subtly but it reminds me of mesquite or hickory with a hint of sweetness........like a subtle smokey bourbon. That is why I like it, there is changes and subtlety to it. Would I like it more more pronounced sure.......but that is ok it is still good.

The Davidoff was just too subtle.

The Ashton had a sweet fruity taste that lingered a little not over powering but there........this one is also a keeper.

The Burley was just a smoke........nothing outstanding but I will tell you. I smoked it over 2 hours ago and I am still enjoying the after flavour it left. So it deserves another shot.

So of the bunch no real WOW's and the Davidoff is definitely a waste.

No worries Moo...........I never give up that easy :D

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
Rock your world? Take it up a notch!

1792!
Stonehaven!
G&H Dark Flake!

Or maybe try some Home&Hearth Virginia Spice with cigar leaf?

atlharp

Mister Moo said:
Rock your world? Take it up a notch!

1792!
Stonehaven!
G&H Dark Flake!

Or maybe try some Home&Hearth Virginia Spice with cigar leaf?
As a cigar smoker who smokes pipes just about full time now, I must say that when I first started that I had problems in detecting flavors, but as time went on I managed to pinpoint flavors. Pipe smoking is more subtle in its flavoring. There are aromatics that are more overt, but generally (this is especially true for VaPers) pipe blends are subtle in comparison to cigars.

If you want a damn good bland, I highly recommend Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake. The stuff is just wonderful! :puff:

ATL

Billy Budd from C&D or Burley Flake #2 should wake up the taste buds.

GH's Dark Flake Unscented, Kendal Kentucky, Dark Birdseye, Sliced Brown or Brown Irish Twist. For something light and sweet give their Sweet Rum Twist a whirl. Actually any of the plugs and twist from GH & SG should do it. SG Kendal Plug is very mild so that won't get it.

Bow-Legged Bear or Pirate Kake also from C&D and I hear good things about 5Brothers as well.

Let us know what you think, others have given some great ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.