Expensive tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by buistd, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Active Member

Hi there - I was keeping an eye on this lot on ebay to see how much it sold for. $531 for 5 tins. Good grief.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251079195...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1202

Hope the buyer enjoys them. A lot.

2. johnhwatson

johnhwatson Member

If the tobacco is in smokeable condition and the buyer has bought it to smoke and not a collectable then it will cost him around $10 per pipe (group 4 size) smoked. Cheap compared to some cigars. But will it be tobacco that is 10 times better than Orlik blended Dunhill?

IrishRover and TheMadMan like this.
  3. buistd

buistd Active Member

It's an interesting point for sure. I no longer drink but when I still did I often used to think that I would be able to notice the difference between a £5 bottle of wine and a £50 bottle but would not enjoy it ten times more. Perhaps a true aficionado would, but maybe part of the pleasure is knowing there is a certain exclusivity to the more expensive option. Having never tried a well aged tobacco I am unable to comment on whether I would find the smoking difference acceptable for the price difference, however I suspect I wouldn't get enough pleasure from a tobacco that costs ten times a newly produced one.

4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Good point. I've never thought of it that way.
    However, I still would be in deep :poop: if I ever spend that much money at one time on tobacco ....

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Anything very expensive brings up this issue. The question is how much would you pay for a, say, 10% improvement in performance. Is that worth spending 10 times more? To a lot of people, it is.

Put into tobacco terms, a 100 gram tin of McClellands Virginia #24 costs about $15 new. A couple of years ago, I smoked a 19 year old tin from my cellar. Was it 10 times better than a new tin? Not at all. Was the experience worth $150. Absolutely. You could say I got 10 times the enjoyment from it, even though it wasn't 10 times better - if that makes any sense.

MrJarvis, Rewster66, Capt and 2 others like this.
  6. buistd

buistd Active Member

A good point, well made.

7. dmkerr

Another way to say it might be... if "tobacco nirvana" is a destination, how much is it worth to get further down the path, even by just a few steps?

That's a question only the individual can answer. Not sure I'd pay $530 for the batch of stuff in the auction above, but I have dropped $150 on a single tin of different tobacco. It gets me closer to complete "tobacco nirvana" than anything else.

Rewster66 and DocB like this.
  8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I think some people have more money than sense sometimes.

jason1977 and Burner like this.
  9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

so, which tin do you think I should crack first folks? ( this always gets asked!) and should I raffle one - on the forum? :msty:

MrJarvis and Mington like this.
  10. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I knew it was you!:booty:

Old Ted likes this.
  11. dmkerr

Perhaps. But it's a question of subjective value. Some people think it's frivolous spending to drop $100 on a steak dinner when a $10 burger will suffice. A Ford Focus will get you from A to B just as surely as a Porsche will. Ripple will get you just as drunk as Cognac... and so forth. But the higher subjective value in the more expensive items come with a pricetag. If you want them, you have to pay for them. The only other alternative is to simply downgrade your personal tastes.

Rewster66, Capt, jpberg and 1 other person like this.
  12. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I'd rather have money than sense. I can't pay rent with my sense. I tried to by a dunhill with sense and they won't let me in the store anymore.

Come to think of it, my sense hasn't really done anything for me except make me feel depressed as to how many senseless people there are. Dosen't make any sense.

13. John Long

John Long Member

The disclaimer reads "not for human consumption". What it really means is "this is some major ass kickin sheat".

14. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth! :laff:

15. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I concur with Kerr!:)

16. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

The price differential isn't so much a function of how much better the old tobacco is than, say, Orlik-blended Dunhill. It's more of a function of how much more scarce it is.

This isn't that unusual. Consider pro basketball players. There are a few superstars who earn several times the salary of the average player, but their stats aren't necessarily commensurate with the differential. It's just that talent at their level is that much harder to come by, and that little edge might be enough to win a championship. At the very right tail of the talent or quality curve, you'll often find these kinds of disparities.

Here, someone obviously thought it would be close to the superlative tobacco experience and it might not otherwise be available. If someone turned up a warehouse of the stuff, the price would drop, even though the quality is still there.

MrJarvis likes this.
  17. Burner

Burner Member

£67 quid a tin - At least they will be getting aged tobacco and some nice tins. It's bugger all for a wealthy pipechap. There are far more vulgar ways for people to spend their ill gotten gains :csmile:

18. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I don't know what wine is available over there, but I can't find a $5 bottle of wine that comes close to a 30 bottle of Stags Leap or Robert Mondavi. Throw one of those in proper storage for 5-10 more years and you can really end up with something special.

Is tobacco the same? Not sure; I've never aged any myself or compared a new tin to aged directly.

Dondi likes this.
  19. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

"Expensive" is subjective. What to me is a major purchase the next guy may think of as chump change.

I have pizzed away more money on things I got less enjoyment from. Not that I wanted to but ya'll know that is just the way things go in life.

dwaugh and BradNTX like this.
  20. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Yep. More power to him. Heck, if he didn't have the chump change to lay out, then what would we be talking about?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.