Experiment: Stoving Tobacco on My Dashboard

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by OrganizdMadman, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

I'm trying an experiment, I've stoved a bit of McClellands Grey Havens on the dash of my Jeep for about 8 hours.
    [​IMG]
    I'll give you all an update shortly!

Has anyone tried this before?

2. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I put a tin of McCrannie's Red ribbon in the oven, set the temp to 100 degrees. Went back in an hour and the damn thing had exploded in my wife's oven. Not a happy gal.

3. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I've had some blends that I suspect had a bit of PG get immensely better after leaving them in my car for a few days to cook it off.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I dig where youre comming from . Some blends arent made w/ the smoker in mind and you have to alter them to make them smokeable . So , good luck w/ your experiment :th1: The shame is that a blend should be ready to go out of the tin or pouch .. period . I understand that back in the day these old makers probably made wet stuff in order for it to not dry up while the guy was on a merchant ship over long periods , or whatever other multitude of reasons . For Petes sake ... it's 2012 . Everyone that makes pipe tobacco should have to tour MB before theyre able to get a tobacco license .

Old Codger and Ted Vig like this.
  5. Chriss

Chriss Member

as a noob im gonna have to ask why would you do that ??
    Is that tobacco way to humid ?

6. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

By cooking the baccy somewhat it will evaporate off the excess PG, and dry it out a bit to bring out other flavors.

7. Chriss

Chriss Member

would this be something I could try with my captain black ( white ) I just bought ?

I find the damn stuff BITES but its really tasty... and when I start a pipe on Monday night and I finish it like Tuesday morning its better then ever!!! more taste and 0 bite...

8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

It's easier to dry tobacco under a desk lamp.

9. RS422

RS422 Member

I put a sealed mason jar in the oven for 5-6 hours at 180 degrees. Works real well.

10. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

This sounds exactly like something I would do. This is what makes us men! :toast:

11. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

From what I've been told, most heavy aros don't stove well. They say stoving is mainly good for improving Virginias. On a side note, CBW bit you? I must be really bite resistant...or maybe you are rather bite prone?! I smoke it a lot with nary a nibble!

Sent from my iPod Shuffle using Forum Runner

12. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

CBW has never bit me either.

13. Chriss

Chriss Member

Well, my packing method is still in discovery mode ( so many ways so many diff baccy types of cut ). But yeah.. a bit. Not like when I started ( with CBB and david's fireball)but since my technique has improved a lot since then, I don't know lol.

Im gonna buy some CBB again soon to see if its same as white or not.

I also still over puff lol !!

Ohh and my pipes are cheap!

14. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

Sometimes the cheapest pipe hath the sweetest smoke!
    (cobs) :D

cobbsmoker, Artistik and Trauma like this.
  15. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've accidentally left tobacco in the car, during a Texas 100* + summer, and noticed a change in flavor afterwards. One had a good result, though accidental, and the other, not so good, resulting in an ounce in the waste basket. I don't do it intentionally anymore.

16. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

So the end result is a very dry crispy tobacco. I just lit some up in a basket briar, just in case it was highly combustible and burned up. Although it smoked a bit hotter than usual, it was an amazingly sweet and flavorful smoke, with all kinds of little nuances that never revealed themselves before the drying process! My B&M sells a stoved Virginia, I'll procure a few oz and compare to my homemade batch.

17. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Capt Black bites me hard. I'm finding most aros do especially with vanilla flavoring...

18. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I find the Captain Black blends and the bulk blends RLP-6, 1Q and MV-1000 to be an easy, enjoyable smoke and very user friendly, I like all of them! :th1:

19. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I liked them a lot at first. I love the room note but my tongue doth protest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.