1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Falcon bowled over!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by WillH, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Will, so many of your posts are rather informative, and you don't mind throwing your opinion into the mix, even if it goes against the grain.

I like it.

2. WillH

WillH Active Member

I appreciate what you said....makes me feel good! You are correct though - it's all just my opinion. With my opinions and a buck you can get a cup of coffee most anywhere! :thumbsu:

Will

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I've never smoked a falcon . I priced them the other day and holy smoke man they're more than I thought they'd be . I figured they'd be cheaper cause I thought a machine is surely stamping out the stem part and the bowls arent a big deal. I'll tell ya though ... I like the idea of getting different bowls ... thats cool . There's alot of talk of falcons here and it's mostly good . I think I'll check out ebay and see if I can bag one I can afford . They do look cool in a retro kinda way . I saw a pic of a falcon with a cob bowl the other day but I dont remember where .... could have been here . If I find it I'll post the link . Really sparked my attention

4. WillH

WillH Active Member

Ruff, IMO a good cob will out smoke the Falcon. It's one of those deals where ya need to like the way they look - so it's kinda back to your thread on grain. For price, ruggedness, and smoking - I personally gotta go with a cob. Smoked them side by side this evening with the same tobacco just to see. I like the cob! Course it took awhile to get the cob smoking the way it does.

If you like the looks of the falcon and want to collect some interesting bowls - it's a fun pipe for sure. The Falcon will take the edge off strong tobaccos, and if you use the little filter thingies they'll reduce the tar and nicotine exposure.

Just my opinion.........

Will

5. WillH

WillH Active Member

Etal,

That carbon bowl in the other thread makes sense to me! Light weight, absorbent and should provide a constant bowl temperature - should be a winner.

FYI, I have smoked the large bowl on my Falcon several times in the past week at it's working out fine. I have the tendency to see things as I want to see them - not how they actually are. So, I was sorta expecting a somewhat different smoking experience. It's not like my briars, meerschaums or cobs, but with the larger bowl it's not bad either. As I said with a really strong tobacco the pipe would probably sing! Escudo just doesn't work in the pipe, for me but, University Flake is very nice!

I tried the little filter ring thingys that came with the bowl. Nuts to that! Just couldn't get them to work for me.

I also discovered the pipe needs a little tobacco in the very bottom of the bowl. My usual method of loading a ball/wad of tobacco into the bowl doesn't work as well....gotta sprinkle a little tobacco into the bowl then dump the charge in. What the heck, it works.

Will

6. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I was tossing around the Falcon vs. Kirsten choice and didn't find the pre-assembled Falcons terribly expensive online from an American distributor compared to the Pound/Dollar exchange rate direct from the UK. I also liked the idea of buying something made in the US (no offense to members from elsewhere). I find the Kirsten ordering system confusing and annoying in that I have to specify everything in an email and do the math myself. For convenience, a pre-assembled Falcon is a better deal. I'm enjoying these metal pipe threads and learning a lot and I'm still on the fence. I guess I'll never know until I make a decision but I enjoy dithering.

Will, keep speaking your mind. As long as you are talking pipes and expressing your honest opinion about them, you aren't saying anything wrong. Honesty is the best policy and I, for one, appreciate learning what you believe from your unique experience. I've seen you make more strategic retreats than crossing a line. Keep being yourself with tact. You are doing a lot of us a favor by posting here.

There but for the grace of the angels go I.

Thanks.
    WK

7. WillH

WillH Active Member

Appreciate the thoughts! Hell, this is just entertainment for me and a few others! None of it is serious! At least I hope not. Had a couple old age issue of late so this is a perfect way to make others feel as bad as I do :thumbsu: Ya know, misery loves company! :eek:hyeah:

I do like like pipes and good tobacco so I try for an itty-bitty touch of honesty!

BTW, you can buy a Kirsten all fixed up! There's no need to use their customized selection process. I think they offer three models of kitted up and ready to go.... the least expensive job is under $75, guts feathers and all.

Will

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.