Falcon Shillelagh

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShilohHollow

Anchors Aweigh
Saturday night I got a text from my dad that said he saw some pipes at a local antique store. I asked him to send a picture and doggonit if one of those pipes wasn't a Falcon Shillelagh. So I scurried my butt down there Sunday after church and paid a whopping $9 for it. Now it does need some serious cleaning and the bowl is a wreck, but still... my dad found a Shillelagh out in the wild. I hope to get some time this week to clean it up and get to smoking it.

How hard is it to push the stem back in all the way? I've read that the stems aren't removable, but I've seen someone (maybe Fordy) put an old Peterson stem on there.

Take 15% off Cigar Gifts! Use Promo Code: GIFT15 at cart

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
I screwed up the first Falcon I ever restored by removing the stem. They aren't removable. I was able to stick it back on and glue it but it was a silly thing to do.

There was an old thread here about how to modify a Falcon into a nosewarmer. Anyway, the point is you CAN stick them back in with some work.

Hopefully one of the Falcon folks here can offer specifics.

Oh. And Congratulations!

Awesome pipe! I just finished a Falcon nosewarmer, well sorta finished. Only reason i made a nosewarmer was because the draw tube was crushed when I got it. That stem came out easily and went back in easily. Weird, I guess some werent crimped or something. That one is an american #2. The shillelagh is just a killer shape. :th1:

a small gap between the bit and the body is normal for falcons.
If you want to remove the bit you will need to use a heat gun to warm the bit up, and soften it.
this will probably harm the bit, but if your replacing it that wont matter.
the big concern is the airway, which is VERY fragile.
the walls of the airway are thin, and the spiral in the airway will cause it to crack if you twist the bit.

since you have the coveted shillelagh, i would not do anything to it, and keep it as original as possible.

Snake

permanent ankle biter
The gap in the bit may
be closed up with
hardened goo. If so,
I'd leave it. You may
attempt to push it in
By grasping the metal
near the bit and pushing
the bit against a flat,
vertical surface like a
door jamb. I don't
recommend this, but it
has worked for me in
the past.

BTW, nice score, SH!

Smokey Tom

You could try soaking the whole unit (without the bowl) in some oxy clean; some light sanding with micromesh pads should do the trick also, I imagine. They will also make the aluminum shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.