1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Falcon

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by BCathcart, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BCathcart

BCathcart Member

OK, I have been reading some threads here, and see that many people enjoy falcon pipes. I think I really want one, but, what is it about a falcon, that makes it special?

Any advice on where to buy my first one would be much appreciated.

:thankyou:

Cheers
    Brian

2. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

People here can likely go on forever about Falcons, but I'll be brief: It has interchangeable bowls, which is great for variety and smoking different tobaccos with minimal ghosting. The stem is metal with a special design for collecting moisture so it results in a rather cool smoke. And they just look plain neat.

You can get them on eBay, 4noggins, smoke.co.uk and I'm sure a variety of other places.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

TS has summed it up neatly. For my take on them see "Some Notes on the Falcon Pipe" on this Forum.

Not everyone takes to them though...

Best

Gerry

4. WillH

WillH Active Member

All I can say is, "Don't do what I did"!

I bought mine on eBay cuz I liked the twisted stem (Shillelagh) because I thought they look neat and they don't make them anymore! (They don't radiate the heat as well as straight standard Falcon stems because the twisted part has very little air circulation around it.) Then I had to order another bowl because the bowl was too damn small! Result? A lot of extra cost and postage. I could have bought a whole tin of tobacco with what I spent on shipping.

I would go to 4Noggins web site, pick out the pipe you want and order from Rich. Why? You'll save some money and if you add enough tobacco, ($100), to the order Rich will ship your stuff for nutten. So about $65 for the pipe and bowl then $35 in tobacco! Besides, Rich @ 4Noggins is a nice guy! :eek:hyeah:

Will

5. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

And you can chuck em around without breaking them and just about continuously smoke them due to the water collecting in the humidome. :thumbsu:

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I enjoy these two points most of all. A falcon, and a Kirsten, are my two pipe work/travel/outdoors pipes because of this.

7. Jay

Jay Active Member

Nobody smokes those but Gerry, who can pull it off because he's the coolest Scot this side of the North Sea. And he gets a commission for every one that is sold, which must be 3 by my count.

8. WillH

WillH Active Member

Gerry who?

9. WillH

WillH Active Member

Gerry's a Scot! I was there in the Spring and didn't see him! Besides those damn Scots turn off there windshield wipers when they go under an overpass to save the wiper rubbers! :roflmao: I'm a celt so I can say that!

Damn pagans don't stick together for ****!

Will

10. Jay

Jay Active Member

Being of Scottish heritage myself, of course he turns off the wipers under a bridge, doesn't everyone?

J

11. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Some blends smoke better in a Falcon than in a briar, so that's a good enough reason for me!

What with all the blends out there waiting to be sampled, the more complete your "tasting arsenal", the better. https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/naughty.gif

I think everyone should have at least: one briar, one meer, one cob, and one metal stemmed pipe in his arsenal!

12. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

If we want to be more efficient: one cob, and one metal stemmed pipe one of Rolf's 'Cobber' fusion pipes.

13. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Are Falcons that expensive......

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Actually I don't turn them off under bridges because I don't put them on in the first place - wiper blades are dear you know!

I worked out some time ago that if I took into account my OAP Discount at SpecSavers it was cheaper to open the side window and peer out when it rained (and of course I drive in the rain a lot to save car wash fees) as if I looked out to the front and to the side I'd be getting double the use out of my bi-focals for the same purchase price!

Falcons are good in the rain too BTW!

Best as ever

Gerry

15. WillH

WillH Active Member

For a mass produced item I think they're a little high! I think their value is about half what they're charging! But then, I'm not a Scott just a cheapskate! Compared to a Kirsten the Falcon only has a tenth of the workmanship for nearly the same price!

Gerry! I don't use wipers either. In bad weather I take the wife along and have her sit on the hood giving me guidance via hand signals. She's getting older now and complains a bit, but that's expected........

Will

16. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

I think falcons are cheap for what you actually get, but then I am in Europe and they might be cheaper here.
    Excellent briar, a durable stem and all that!

Anyway, my falcons are my most treasured pipes at the moment. The only other pipes I've used in quite a while are my own soapstone pipes which are very good when not on-the-go. (they are a bit heavy them soapstoners)

Oh and:
    Windshield wipers??? -What will they come up with next???
    I use a blind man's cane duct taped to the hood of the car. When the cane breaks you hit the brakes!

17. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

Once the bore at the bottom of the bowl is widened, they're fantastic smokers. $45 if you order from uk minus vat. Only older estates and >$150 range new pipes seem to smoke as well to me. But you have to sand open the hole at the bottom a little or the airway can get a little restricted.

18. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

YES! This is so true. My algiers bowl has a draw that feels like I overpacked. You know, like you're trying to suck down a frozen milkshake. Opening it up is a must.

19. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

By the way Falconeer, I'm new here and I just read your notes on the falcon pipe. Fantastic. Glad to see other people around who seem to appreciate them as much as I do.

20. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Dude, your avatar looks like a large dog turd. :eek:hyeah:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.