Falconeer's "All Wot I Know About Meerschaum"

Discussion in 'Meerschaum Pipes' started by Sasquatch, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telltime

telltime Active Member

Oh, dear God, let's hope not!:byg:

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I can't get the lnk to work either Gerry,
    OT

3. woody

woody Admin Admin

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

UPDATE

I mention carver Kadir Baysal in my post above. Mr Baysal passed away this year. If you can find a Baysal pipe on Ebay, it might be a good idea to snap it up... if you can outbid ME, that is! :byg:

Also I note in the 2nd to last paragraph that begins "So... for a block measure pipe". That should read "...for a block meerschaum pipe". I think the system thought I couldn't spell and decided to help me out.

6. qwik

qwik Member

WOW, good read. :bow: Thanks for all this information, just blew my mind

7. dbwittkopf

dbwittkopf Member

Very nice right up!

8. desertmoon

desertmoon Member

Excellent thread with a phenomenal original post!!! I rarely read long posts....or entire threads....this one was well worth it from beginning to end!

9. dmkerr

Couple of tidbits...

How To Tell If A Pipe Is Block Or Pressed Meerschaum (works on gourd bowls as well). Put a little saliva on your finger and dab it on the bowl (preferably the inside where there is less wax - as long as there is no char). If the saliva is absorbed into the pipe, it's a block meer pipe. If not, it's pressed. Pressed meerschaum does not have "pores" that will absorb moisture.

Also, there is a bit of conventional wisdom about not smoking a meerschaum with a lot of bowl cake. Granted, cake will impede the coloring process but I've also heard that cake and meerschaum expand and contract at different temperatures and excessive cake can cause a bowl to crack. While I do not know for sure if this is true, I am attempting to test the theory. I have an old SMS that has more cake in it than a typical briar. So far it has not cracked. Add to this the fact that I smoke it outside in sub-zero temps while shoveling snow and immediately bring it indoors, still smoking. No cracks. No problems of any kind. So I can't tell you it's ok to do this with your expensive artisan pieces, I can tell you that I've had no issues in over 3 years of massively abusing this particular pipe. So far this pipe has survived and is one piece of evidence that does not support this conventional wisdom.

10. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Glad to a see this thread here. Thanks DMK!

11. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

I've had the same experience with a couple of my "beater" meers DMK. They've been smoked in blizzards, summer's swelter and whilst canoeing on the river, even dropped one in! Cleaned the soggy tobacco out, let it dry in the sun for a couple of hours, and fired it back up. After all these years, they still deliver a good smoke. That said, I don't take my Baki or Yaniks into the out-back.......

dmkerr likes this.
  12. dmkerr

And they say meerschaum is fragile! I wish the rest of my gear lasted as long! :D

13. Sinan Altinok

Sinan Altinok Member

Good explanation Dan. I call this "Tongue Test". Although using your finger with some saliva is much safer hygienically, you can get a finer result with your tongue too. When you are at buying new meer pipe and get a chance to hold it in your hands, simply touch your tounge inside of the bowl which should be completely free of wax. If your tongue sticks to the meerschaum, you can tell that it was made of block meerschaum. If doesn't, it was not. Most likely a pressed (false) meer. This test should always work because a real block meerschaum has millions of pores by nature, like a sponge. It absorbs the saliva on tongue immediately just like it does same as absorbing nicotine and breathing all the time providing a cool and dry smoke.

Well, unfortunately, this test doesn't work at online purchases.

AlexanderM likes this.
  14. dmkerr

Sure it's a good explanation! I first learned it from you! :beck:

15. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

I'm going to Turkey and lick all of Sinan's meer pipes!!! :laff: Good information gentlemen....thank you!

Brad Cogar, Dondi and dmkerr like this.
  16. dmkerr

:haha: I never wanted an Altinok so bad in my life as I do now! :puke:

Sinan, watch out for the T-Bear Tongue!!! :ohyh:

17. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I am glad I got mine before T-bear visits!

18. Siv

Siv Flame+Wood=Bad Idea

I noticed something that I thought was worth highlighting as the non-meer regulars may not know.

Pretty much all Turkey made block meerschaum pipes come with a "custom" fitted case. This is nothing special, it's just what is done. So you should never pay more for a "custom" case, they all come like that. I have a $15 meer from eBay what came with a fitted case. In fact, this is often a way to tell the old Austrian made meers from Turkish - the Austrian will come in a square box where there is either no fitting for the pipe or very rough fitting.

The cases are made for each pipe so if you lose yours, you're probably never going to find another that fits. Most decent meers are hand carved so there is always some small variation from pipe to pipe. Add to this the fact that cases usually are very snug and tight fitting, it could be argued that pretty much every meer pipe is unique. I would say the fitted case making is unique to Turkey.

Now while you may get used to having cases with your meers, note that some reputable "re-branded" meers don't come with cases. An example that I can speak first hand of are Peterson meers. I have two of their Sherlock Holmes meer series and was very disappointed to find them come in a little cloth bag and not a case.

In summary, don't pay more for a "custom case" - they all come like that.

[​IMG]

MarkinCA likes this.
  19. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Good point sir....and good information for the neophyte. Thank you for the addition!

20. Aleph Zero

Aleph Zero New Member

I'm buying my first Meerschaum pipe because of this (honestly)

I've always wanted one but I've never even held one yet - I can't wait!

recommendations or things to avoid would be nifty

zero

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.