1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Falcons - Usa Vs Great Britian

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Traderbob, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

I now have two Falcons - one stamped "Made in England" in the standard aluminum finish and one in black that has only "Falcon" stamped on the bottom and a "4" stamped in the little inset on the bottom. A fair amount of difference in the draw on these two pipes. The black one (I assume made in the USA) is not as open a draw and I cannot remove the bit. Has anyone else noticed this difference? And is it normal that I cannot remove the bit? I like them both, but really like the more open draw of the one made in England.

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

I do not believe Falcon bits are removable and void the warranty if you do; my Falcon was made in the UK factory.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

The only Falcon with a removeable mouthpiece is the Falcon International - black or brown anodised finish, gold band and designed to (a) take a filter and :)D more closely resemble an ordinary conventional pipe.

Do not try to take the mouthpiece off any other Falcon - you will both invalidate the guarantee and break the seal where th centre tube joins the humidome and so produce a pipe that won't smoke right and will leak.

If it looks like a normal Falcon with exposed centre tube but anodised black or brown then it is a Falcon Extra, previously called a Hunter and it should draw exactly tyhe same as any other Falcon. Two things to look at - if its previous owner used the fatter fluffy pipe cleaners there could be a build up if solidified goo reinforced by pipe cleaner fibres in the nylon mouthpiece - an opened up paper clip and patience will shift these. The other is that if its previous owner wasn't too particular about cleaning it there will be a buils up of solid good down the centre tube - soak in a bowl of hot water for an hour or so then run an alcohol soaked pipe cleaner down the tube - you might be amazed how much gunge comes out.

A final point - the wood around the smoke hole at the bottom of the bowl swells with moisture and benefits from careful opening out with a sharp nice, sandpaper wrapped dowel or round file - that should help the draw. Finally is there a dry ring - looks like a short section of pipe cleaner round the centre plug of the humidome? If so ditch it - you don't need it,

Gerry

4. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

Gerry,

Thanks for the info - I guess I did the exact opposite. On my Falcon stamped made in England I immediately removed the bit to clean and it smokes great. It looks like the bit is countersunk to fit around the tube, I hope I did not mess it up. I am glad to know the facts - I will quit twisting on my black falcon! I have twisted on it pretty hard before I decided that maybe it shold not come. I will clean it carefully. I am enjoying both - great smokes for the price.

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

It's easy enough done if you don't have the instruction leaflet - somehow it just seems natural to take off the mouthpiece to clean the thing! I sent Moo a set of the instructions and he scanned them onto this Forum just before we switched over to the new format - they should still be available via Search but if not, try PM'ing him and he'll repost them or send you a copy,

Best meantime,

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.