Famous Smoke Shop Location....

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by nesta, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Have they always shipped from Bethlehem, PA? I am pretty confident they never did before. I was also surprised I had to sign up for an account to order from them, despite never needing one in the past - I knew something had changed but....have they gone the way of Pipes and Cigars? :thdn:

2. Marker

Marker Active Member

No idea but quite a few companies moved out of New York in the past couple years to the much more friendly PA. The oppressive instate taxes are running a lot of businesses out of NY.

3. Islayphile

Islayphile Member

I placed my first order from them back in 2012 and needed an account with them for that.

Famous is based out of Easton, PA which is only about 25 minutes outside of Bethlehem.

4. Islayphile

Islayphile Member

Best Cigar Prices did so back in late 2012 IIRC for that same reason.

PA doesn't have a separate tax for cigars at all, which is why it's so attractive to many companies.

5. remington

remington Member

The taxes are outrageous in general in NYS, but especially on tobacco. From speaking with the owner of a local Cigar shop here in NYS, they have to pay 70% tax/upcharge on tobacco products just to get the product in the shop. So naturally, the increased cost gets passed on to the customer who also pays sales tax on top of the inflated price. I happen to live near an Indian Reservation where I pay zero tax and the the tobacco shop pays zero tax to get the product. They've downsized and don't carry nearly as many brands as they used to. I've noticed if they don't move a product, in a few months it's on a clearance rack in the store. I just saw boxes of Undercrowns, Corona Dobles and Gordos marked down to $120 a box. Boxes of AB Prensados, AB Tempus Terra Nova's, DE Java's were in there. Unfortunately I'm not a huge fan of those cigars or I'd have some explaining to do to my wife.

When my shop doesn't have something I want, I usually order from CI in PA. For whatever reason, their 3-5 day UPS shipping shows up at my doorstep the next business day.

6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

That makes sense, but the Bethlehem location is what confused me. There are several companies there which claim to be fully independent but which actually are all owned and operated by the same people that run CI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.