Fast & wet smoker

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Raffxr7, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I smoke too fast, working on pace to fix that-my favorite pipe is a recent estate purchase & has very thin walls (1/8") so I notice the heat faster and slow down earlier. I can't seem to overcome the salivation issue though. Should I pack the bowl looser to adjust for temperature? What can be done to help with smoking wet?

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

A big part of it just comes with time. For some it takes longer than others - it took me a while to get used to both, and hey I'm still learning! Slow and steady :)

3. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Slowing down should help you tremendously. On the recommendation of another here, I've tried puffing into the pipe gently when you get a little gurgle -- the idea is to force some of the moisture up to the heat so it will evaporate. Don't overdo or you'll get things just as hot, but it can help occasionally. Also never hesitate to run a pipe cleaner through the pipe while you're smoking. Particularly if you have a bent, it might not want to go all the way in, but just tip the pipe back so some of the moisture runs into the stem where you can swab it and you should be good.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I'd recommend slowing down (which you already know),
    passing a cleaner as Tony mentioned, and try drying out
    the toby more.

5. Professor

Professor Active Member

^ +1

6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Usually as you smoke down the bowl the heat from the smoke will evaporate moisture as it goes for a dry smoke unless you are smoking to fast producing more moisture than be evaporated as you smoke.

7. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Thank you all! :)

8. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

when I'm working, using a briar, and can't be bothered with finding a pipe cleaner out in the field or wherever I put my thumb over the chamber and give the pipe a whip... similar to how guys whip their dip cans... minus the thumping finger... whips the moisture out via centrifugal force... not recommended in an office setting...

I usually wipe the stem off on my jeans after the flick, and resume the work at hand.

or I just use a cob and forget about it till I have to dump ash and pack the bowl again.

9. phinz

phinz Active Member

I've been smoking a pipe for over 20 years and I still get gurgle on occasion, and tongue bite more often than I care to admit. I use all three methods depending on the pipe and where I am. If I'm in my bar and don't have a pipe cleaner, I blow back through the pipe lightly. If I'm at my desk or in my hobby room, I usually have pipe cleaners on hand. If I'm outside I just whip it.

10. orto

orto Member

One of the hardest things for me to admit, and then overcome, was the fact that I had too much moisture if I clenched my pipe in my teeth for any period of time. Made it kind of difficult to smoke while working and driving. Eventually I figured out I could overcome it by smoking a lighter pipe and clenching it even more frequently. Took a few miserable smoking sessions but I found myself subconsciously correcting bad habits, like puffing too quickly and being a slobbery mess.

Also, as mentioned above, instead of depending on pipe cleaners or the blow-back method, I just cover my bowl with the palm of my hand and give the pipe a good flick. But uh, make sure you're outdoors when you try that one. Or aim for a trash can or sink or something. That method rids any excess gurgles real quick.

Professor likes this.
  11. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Instead of the cover and flick, I will tap the end of the bit into a handkerchief to achieve the same goal while in public.

12. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

It's a good thing I keep pipe cleaners with me on the rare occasion I am truely in public; most of my time is spent outside, where only livestock and wild critters can complain. Update: still no complaints from the animals. :P

Professor likes this.
  13. Professor

Professor Active Member

:th1:

14. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

git 'er dun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.