Favorite bit

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by fishnbanjo, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Member

For me it is without a doubt the Fishtail, don't care if it's vulcanite, hard rubber or acrylic just give me a Fishtail............

fogpipe and dBear like this.

2. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

I have heard in Asian culture's the fishhead is more popular.
    But to each his own. :)

3. dBear

dBear Active Member

Well, I use "condoms" on all my pipes - so my opinion wouldn't really count for anything. But I have an old Wally Frank where the bit is fat and almost round and I'm always pleasantly surprised when I put that in my mouth. It's a real change from the usual flat, thin bits. Wish more pipe stems were made like that.

gentimmy, fishnbanjo and ruffinogold like this.
  4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Keep your eye out for very old pipes . The clay pipe was a round stem and as time went on [ into briars and forward ] ... the stem got flatter and thinner . Many pipes from the 20's and 30's had more roundish stems then today . I like a stem a little flatter for clenching , which I do most of the time , but I like very much what youre talking about . I have a 30's Dunhill billiard with a more rounded stem that today and it feels great and clenches well .. it's awesome !

I don't have a favorite so much but I know I don't like a stem to be to thick .

fishnbanjo and dBear like this.
  5. Buckshot Two

Buckshot Two Member

I also prefer the fishtail.

fogpipe and fishnbanjo like this.
  6. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

I've only got one pipe with a "P" Lip a WHC Meer. lined CurlyKnob briar
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    but I'd have all my pipes like it, if ruffinogold could wave his Magic Tamper :rolleyes:

gentimmy, fishnbanjo and dBear like this.
  7. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Me too, unequivocally

fogpipe and dBear like this.
  8. dBear

dBear Active Member

I think I'll have to agree that, as far as the look, the fishtail really adds class. It's like adding metal to a pipe - any little band or ring of metal jumps the classiness of a pipe's look right up.

Rodfather and fishnbanjo like this.
  9. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I am a big fan of saddle-bit fishtails, in general.

Sasquatch makes the most comfortable stems/buttons I've ever had, regardless of shape.

11. dBear

dBear Active Member

I believe the operative words were "adding" and "little." Also, I believe my post implied the pipe would have some inherent class which would then be augmented. I do however admit the tin of SLF adds class even to that Rube Goldberg monstrosity. [​IMG]

fishnbanjo likes this.
  12. macthenife

macthenife Member

I believe the fishtail is my favorite. I have a Peterson Donegal Rocky fishtail that is the most comfortable clincher I have.

13. Gig

Gig Member

Since I smoke my Peterson System pipes the most, all the time I'd say the "P" lip for me. Especially the pre-republic stems which are thinner and smaller :)

14. brumoon

brumoon Member

I like both - Don't really have a favorite.

15. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

In my opinion (and in Bill Ashton-Taylor's opinion apparently), Ian Walker, the maker of Northern Briars pipes, makes the best stems. Both of my NBs have extremely comfortable stems that are very thin but also very substantial. I love them.

And when you guys say fishtail, what are you referring to exactly? Are you talking about fishtail as opposed to P-lip? I've never had a P-lip, and I don't ever plan on it either, so I guess I can't comment on that, but yeah, Northern Briars is my answer. Dunhill also makes a nice, comfortable bit.

I should say that, for me, the most important thing is that it is vulcanite. Gotta have vulcanite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.