FAVORITE SMOKING BLEND FOUND

Discussion in 'Blending' started by boiseTim, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boiseTim

boiseTim Member

:sh: After searching thru many tobaccos at local shop for last two months I finaly discovered the joy of mixing.Ive went thru prince alberts soft vanilla,middleton cherry and apple tobaccos,peter stokkebye custom tobaccos.Some of these have been good and some not good but It has been real fun as I am just
    learning the pipe.
    But last night bought 2.5 oz of stokkebye french vanilla at $2.29 an oz. and regular 1.5 oz red box regular Prince Albert.($4.49)
    I took half ounce of french vanilla wich is long ribbons and slightly broke up with fingers then poured close to half ounce of Prince Albert on top and then mixed well and put in mason jar.
    This is a perfect burning,perfect tasting and smelling blend.A couple puffs in and its like drinking a good coffee or remembering good memories all by taste buds.I have found what I love to smoke. I feel like thomas eddison,Issac newton,etc.(master inventor)

2. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Member

Sounds good. I recently picked up a pouch of Captain Black White as I had a coupon. The Captain Black was too sweet for me so I mixed it 50/50 with Carter Hall and now it smokes pretty darn good.

Smokey Tom, YAPPG, dBear and 2 others like this.
  3. dBear

dBear Active Member

Mixing tobaccos is a whole new world, isn't it? I just discovered mixing Honey Meade (a real lemoney blend from my local B&M) and trout stream smooths out the sting of the trout stream and cuts back the too lemoney (for me) taste of the honey meade. The result is a blend I really like instead of two that I probably wouldn't smoke much of on their own.

YAPPG and boiseTim like this.
  4. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Sometimes mixing two blends works an absolute treat. My Uncle Stan enjoys Condor and St Bruno mixed 50:50. Doesn't get much more codgerly than that!

YAPPG, dBear, WalkinStick and 3 others like this.
  5. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

My one try at blending was about three years ago. SWR and Paladin.I had just picked up the pipe again and bought a whole tub of Paladin!. Had to do something with it. After ruining the SWR, I threw out over half the tub.

YAPPG, dBear and Thuber88 like this.
  6. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to try that. I like the taste and aroma of Carter Hall initially, but I didn't like the lingering burley taste. Maybe adding some black cavendish would make that less of an issue for me.

YAPPG and dBear like this.
  7. mongo

mongo Active Member

I have four bulk tobacco store blends.... really like only one, maybe two of them straight up. Thinking of blending the two that I like less together. Will report back with that little experiment.

8. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

I still have half a tub of Walnut, which has little taste as far as I am concerned. What should I add to it?

YAPPG likes this.
  9. craig

craig Active Member

awesome job tim theres nothing like it when you find THE PERFECT mix that suits your palate and burns perfectly, the feeling you get is awesome.
    i have just got into making my own blends from scratch and the two i have made are pretty amazing (to me anyways) and that feeling when you make something special is top notch.
    keep trying the blending though and have fun with it

10. bosun

bosun Active Member

I distinctly remember from when I was much younger, I tried Paladin twice. Both times it gave me a sore throat!

YAPPG likes this.
  11. bosun

bosun Active Member

How about a handful of Latakia?
    I couldn't resist (g). I like just a little bit of Latakia so C&D Epiphany and Walnut (which has just a bit more Latakia) are pretty good for me..

12. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

I'll give that a try. Can't hurt!

YAPPG likes this.
  13. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

i had some Crowley's Best, which was OK but not a world shaker, and some Morning Camp that i didn't care for at all--i mixed 'em 50/50 by volume and it has actually taken 5th place on my favorites list--i will be quick to admit that this result is highly unusual as most of my concoctions are not particularly good--

another mix that is quite palatable is about 9 parts PA and one or two parts blending Latakia (depending on how much you like Lat)--some even add a bit of perique to it--i like perique, but find it doesn't work well with me in this case--

14. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I like CH now. What a difference a month makes, lol. I plowed through that pouch in short order and picked up a second one today (I need to get a tin this weekend). I'm mixing this stuff in the SWR I bought...trying to tone that down a bit. I really like SWRA. SWR...not so much.

Jazzzzzzz1 and dBear like this.
  15. YAPPG

YAPPG Member

Off topic but i've got to know it's been bugging me to death. Is that an ASA or Lightning 25 patch? I was ASA late '67.

16. TheLonePipeman

TheLonePipeman Member

Recently added some McClelland Turkish ribbon to some Smoker's pride Vanilla Cavendish. It definitely improved the smoke for me. I also like mixing McClelland 5100 Red cake with their bulk Turkish ribbon, and a pinch of PS Cube Cut.

dBear likes this.
  17. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

yessir--ASA 1966-70---05h in asia for 38 months and 7 days--

18. YAPPG

YAPPG Member

Thought as much. Actually i was 66-70 as well. I was waiting to go to Germany at Ft Dev but buggers thought they needed another photographer in nam so they dropped my top secret crypto and sent me. Worked out good, tho. didn't have to set around listening to a bunch of diddy-boppers, no offense, or squinting at ocilliscopes. Spent 2 years over there with 20th eng brg. Can't remember witch it was, 84b20 I think then 98j20 ended up , or other way around...been awhile.

19. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

i was headed for the 05h section from day 1--knew code before enlisting--ham 8 years prior(i was a gezer from day one in the army--22 years old--the 17 year olds called me pop)--still copy code today--wife says that's why i'm a half bubble off plumb

YAPPG likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.