Favorite tobacco in a cob?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillyoldbear

US OTCs. Would never dream of using a cob for lakeland or Brit OTCs, simply because I would be disappointed. Captain Black White, CH and SWR for sure.
Not exactly a Lakeland blend, even though a smudge of the lakeland shows through, but give Hyde Park a go, the burley fowardness of it really shines in a cob. I smoke Hyde Park in an MM Dip I have dedicated to Hyde Park and Carter Hall and I feel like it is wasted on any other pipe (that I own at least).

I smoke all my tobaccos in cobs. Burleys, Virginias, Aromatics, English and everything I ever smoke.
I do dedicate a few of my cobs to specific tobacco types however.
I'm sure it's just me, but I find briar dulls the flavor somewhat compared to a cob. I've found these changes in flavor of the same blend quite profound.
For some reason cobs and my palate just get along quite well.
Obviously though I wouldn't expect the same to be true for everyone else. All of us have our own preferences in pipes and that's a great thing :puffy:

leacha

░░░░░░
I smoke all my tobaccos in cobs. Burleys, Virginias, Aromatics, English and everything I ever smoke.
I do dedicate a few of my cobs to specific tobacco types however........../quote]
Have you done any comparisons between your briars and cobs using the same baccys?

This month I'll be doing a comparison between my cob and maple and as the weather warms, I have a few falcon bowls dedicated to certain baccys that I'd like to compare against the cob.

Ephraim said:
I do dedicate a few of my cobs to specific tobacco types however........../quote]
Have you done any comparisons between your briars and cobs using the same baccys?

This month I'll be doing a comparison between my cob and maple and as the weather warms, I have a few falcon bowls dedicated to certain baccys that I'd like to compare against the cob.
I have and still do whenever I feel like smoking one of my 3 briar pipes, which is actually pretty rare :)
To me, blends like Red Cake (on the Va side) and Carter Hall (on the Burley side) taste "cleaner" in my cobs. Whereas in my briars they taste much more "muted", for lack of a better word. The same goes for an English/Latakia blend like Dunhill 965. They all seem to be more flavorful to me when smoked in a cob.

It's interesting to compare how the same blend tastes and even smokes and smells differently in a cob compared to a briar. It's very subjective of course, and there could be other factors I'm not aware of. It may even be partly psychological as I now expect the same blend to taste differently in a cob or briar. I feel that my cobs give me a fuller flavor than my briars.

Definitely try a comparison with your cobs against Maple or Briar. You might come to a different conclusion than me, but I'm pretty sure you'll notice some differences.
And it has only been fairly recently that I started dedicating my cobs to specific blends and styles of tobacco. It'll be interesting to see how my dedicated cobs smoke in a few months.

Last edited:
All kind of tobaccos in my MM's ,i started with Virginias but latter i smoke Aromatics,Black Cavendish,Rum,Latakia etc. I have a dozens of Aristocobs for that reason.

Alright. I have to disagree with straight Carter Hall in a cob. It needs to be mixed with something since, by itself, it's pretty tasteless. CH with some Virginia aromatic? I can agree with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.