Feeling a little hosed...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Omar Serrato, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omar Serrato

Omar Serrato Member

So I purchased three clay pipes, for 60.00. One old civil war style 16 incher, one 6 inch tavern style clay pipe, and one bamboo stem with clay bowl. I must say, I am sorely disappointed. It feels terrible in the mouth, looks flimsy....I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!

Haven't smoked them yet.....but feeling a little hosed.

More later...

2. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

That's... an interesting teaser. I am intrigued.

:popc:

Preacher1611 likes this.
  3. furious

furious Junque collector

I have only two clays and they are mainly just to say that I have them in my collection. I remember being surprised at the daintiness of them too and they are very light weight. The stems leave a lot to be desired esp. if you are a clencher!!

4. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Would a ceramic pipe be considered a clay pipe?

5. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

You've got to try it a few times. I wasn't impressed the first couple times I smoked my tavern pipe (broke the stem...so now it's a Churchwarden, lol), but it grew on me.

Yeah...it does look and feel a bit chincy though. However, it does provide a nice/cool smoke.

Preacher1611 and Raffxr7 like this.
  6. bosun

bosun Active Member

I have a couple of clays, mostly just to have them (older figurals). One that I will smoke occasionally is a simple standard which was designed to be a smoker not an ornament. Put a rubber softie on it because I do not like the abrasive feel on my teeth. Smokes hotter than a brier for me with a rougher/stronger taste. But for something different every now and then it does fine..

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Seriously - what did you expect? Folks stopped smoking disposable clays 100 years ago because cobs, briar, ceramic and meerschaum all perform so much better.

FWIW I have the same kind of sliderule that NASA engineers used to put a man on the moon but I use a solar powered calculator. I'd say clay pipes and sliderules work but, today, they're curios rather than tools.

WyoBob, jdto, zwolanek and 3 others like this.
  8. ravnhaus

ravnhaus Member

Put em on display. That really all they are good for.

9. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Yes and no (at least in my opinion). Clay pipes are fired clay and are there for "ceramic". But, I think when most people use the term clay pipe they are talking about a pipe with a clay stem, that is typically not 'fully' fired such that it will absorb moisture. At least when I think of ceramic pipes, I think of clay pipes that are either fired at a higher temperature, or glazed, have a non-clay stem, and are often double walled.

10. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

I was curious because my mother used to make ceramics and she has a ton of molds. I'm pretty sure I saw a pipe mold or 2 when I was younger, though I could be mistaken.

dwaugh likes this.
  11. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Cool, you should see if it's still around. I tried making some clay pipes with a mold a made https://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/operation-clay-pipe.8260/ Some came out OK, but it was certainly a messy operation:)

12. Bear84

Bear84 Member

I honestly can't get past what I think that clay would feel like on my teeth. I know you're not supposed to clench them, but it just gives me the heebs to even think about it. I'd do one of those spaz shivers* and probably drop the dang thing.

*spaz shiver def: The involuntary flailing of arms, one leg and a 90 degree sudden jerk of the head in a westerly direction. Often accompanied by goose bumps and a whole body shivering sensation. Followed closely by the phrase "what is your problem" generally uttered by my wife.

13. zwolanek

zwolanek Member

On this, has anyone on the forum smoked a pipestone pipe?

Pipestone was the first thing mined in Minnesota. But not by 3M.

14. user2453

user2453 Member

This thread brings back memories of my first venture into pipes a while back. I have a Tavern Gouda Clay pipe sitting on my smoking shelf that I haven't smoked in months and months. I think that if you pack em right they smoke well enough to own at least one. I bought mine new for 7 bucks on eBay.

15. Labman

Labman Member

dwaugh likes this.
  16. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

There is a guy here by the name of rekamepip (or something like that), who makes pipes out of stone, and I think it's pipestone. He's the one who makes the "rock cobs". I haven't gotten around to buying one yet but there are people here who smoke them.

17. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

I have both a Dwaugh clay pipe and a Dwaugh Clay dog. I still haven't smoked the Clay Dog yet, I've got to get the clay dust out of it still. The standard Dwaugh clay, which was the double walled model, I smoked until it was mostly black. It smoked dry and cool. It was great for sampling tobaccos because it was small and you got a pure clean taste of what the blend was about. My clay didn't ghost either and I was smoking all kinds of crazy aromatics in it. I never noticed anything on my teeth because my teeth never came into contact with it. This was a hold and draw with your lips only kind of pipe. Be sure to take a damp papertowel and wipe off any remaining clay dust from the mouthpiece of the pipe. Over time the part that goes in your mouth will smooth out and feel much better in your mouth. Now, I'm sure David's pipes were extraordinary, but I'm sure you bought some fine clays as well. Give them a chance if you're still interested, or send them back if you can. But keep at least one, just for the collection. My 2 cents.:D

18. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

I have 3 Dwaugh clays. One is a prototype, one is a final production and the third (my favorite) is a double wall bulldog clay. As RGW said, they are great "taste-testers". The tacky feel of the bit goes away after a few bowls, BTW

19. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I love my 6 inch tavern! Yea, it's totally dainty and fragile but I just smoke it when I'm at home watching a movie or reading. I tend to clench only when I'm walking around smoking a pipe so I don't worry about that. I say give' em a go and if you don't like 'em you could trade 'em for different pipes or a bunch of bacca. Plenty a folks 'round here like the clay!

20. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

The local McCranies sells $10 tavern clay pipes, probably for taste testing. Hate to hear you spent $60 on your lot of 3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.