• This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Ferndown pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeebs

I'm looking at a Ferndown pipe that I really like and wanting to buy, but I have no knowledge of the Ferndown brand. Anyone own a Ferndown, and if so, how is it ?

furious

Heard great things but I myself don't own one. Les Wood really knows his stuff and is an exceptional silver smith having been the primary supplier for Dunhill and other high-end makers before starting his own company.

cobbsmoker

In my opinion, Dunhill, Ferndown and Upshall are all quality English pipes and Les Wood has a very good reputation in the pipe smoking community.

Prof

I have talked to a couple of very experienced pipers who dont like Ferndown pipes, but I have two barks and I love them for flakes. I thnk they are classy, understated and elegantly well balanced pipes.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
The only "downside" is that Les drills a smaller airway than some guys (notably Ashton, the most immediately comparable English brand, I guess). Ashtons are wide open and I understand (mostly from CakeandDottle) that fernies are a little tighter. But that's a personal preference thing, not a right/wrong thing. And it can be adjusted.

Jeebs

I have talked to a couple of very experienced pipers who dont like Ferndown pipes, but I have two barks and I love them for flakes. I thnk they are classy, understated and elegantly well balanced pipes.
Yeah, Bark is what I was looking at. nice looking pipes. also looking at a Rinaldo blast.... so many pipe makers with so many pipes.

Greetings! I have a Ferndown Bark xxx. I do think the thing you will notice is that Les Woods cures his briar differently. While I do not have the particulars, but for a lack of a better word, the briar seems to have a 'delicious' taste. I can't explain it further than that :) Good luck hope you get it and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.