Ferndown Tobaccos

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nesta, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Anybody have any experience with this brand? I recently bought a tin of Yellow and Gold and I'm making it through this tin faster than virtually any other I've bought in the past. It's the first time I've gotten their tobacco but it wont be the last, I really love this blend.

I'm just curious what your thoughts on the stuff are, and especially impressions of other blends they make.

This is a blend of deliciously sweet Virginia tobaccos with Oriental tobacco thrown in to give it a little "oomph" in the flavor department. The Virginias dominate, while the Orientals seem to back it up and round it out. Sort of like putting a little coarse ground sea salt and pepper on a properly cooked steak. Sure, the steak will be excellent without it, but it really brings it full circle to lightly season it. To my palate, which is limited in its experience, this creates a slightly tangy, moderately sweet medium-full bodied Virginia blend with just a hint of an English-esque flavor in the background without detracting from the VA, getting too heavy on the orientals, and with none of the in-your-face smokiness of latakia. The aroma is pleasant to me, but I love the aroma of fine tobaccos in general - the lady folk may not be as fond of this as I. I'm a fan of this level of nicotine when I am smoking a full bowl - at the end of it I know I've smoked some tobacco, but I'm not reeling. So basically its got it all: rich flavor, pleasant (or at least tolerable) burning aroma, and a satisfactory level of nicotine.

Are the others this good? I wish I had enough money to properly cellar some tobacco, cause I'd want to buy out the remaining stock at the local Tinderbox.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Damn ,that sounds like a pretty nice blend ! I'm amazed at how many tined blends I havent had yet . It seems theres a bazillion

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

When I get back from Canada in a couple weeks I'll be making some pipe related purchases. I will pick up another tin. If you're interested in trying a little, definitely send me a message, man.

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I've read your comments about this blend on the Now Smoking thread, and you've put it on my radar for sure, nesta. My local shop has a couple of tins of Black & Tan and Red & Black, but no Yellow & Brown. There are somewhat limited reviews of all of them on TR, but they consistently get good marks. I see myself picking up some Ferndown in the future.

Herb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.