1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

filter pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by TedVig, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

For those of you who use filter pipes, could you tell me, do you tend to pack them a bit lighter?

2. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

If I do bother with a filter (which is not all that often) I don't change my packing to compensate. I'd say see which way works best for you though!

3. Mbalta

Mbalta Member

Hi, I use filters but I don't change the packing "strength", in any way, for that reason. I never felt I had to. I do change, accordingly to the kind of tobacco cut I'm smoking...

4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I use the standard 3 step packing technique with all my filtered cobs and briars.

5. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

I use the same method for packing as always, but I do tend to pack lighter, just by nature, since there is more restriction on the draw with the filter pipes. I smoke a Vauen filter pipe, and the other night I tried it without the filter, and it wouldn't stay lit. Stuck the filter back in, and it lit right up just fine. So I would pack the same method, same packing strength, etc. The main thing is to find the best way for you!

6. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Fair enough. I tried a bunch of methods today. I thought I was loading it too light for a bit... not sure on that one. Seems like when I do the three step it always ends up a little too tight. I'll keep at it.

7. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

This method has worked for me, after struggling with the 3-step method for a long time:

Give it a go, never hurts to try!

8. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Yup, that one has worked well for me in the past. Think I'll revisit it. Thanks V!

9. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I'm thinking now I shouldn't have had 9 bowls in a row yesterday...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.