Filter question

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by smokinjoe, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokinjoe

smokinjoe Member

Good Evening gents, I was curios if a filter was needed in a cob pipe. I took it out and it smokes better. So the question is ,Is this normal or should I use the filter? Its a missouri cob.

2. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I like and use filters in all my pipes but they can be smoked with or without and I would say most of the members here do not use the filter.

3. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

I usually remove them, but if I didn't, I'd still get by. It's mostly a matter of preference. The only disadvantage to leaving it in is that you can't run a pipe cleaner through the shank mid-bowl.

4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

You can run a pipe cleaner through the filter on a straight pipe easily, I do it all the time after a smoke, if you're using the filter there will be no need to run a pipe cleaner through the shank during a smoke, it will absorb the excess moisture like it was designed to do. ;)

Ted Vig likes this.
  5. buistd

buistd Active Member

I have just discovered that Extra Slim RYO cigarette filters work marvellously in my cobs. Significantly cheaper than 6mm pipe filters and they don't restrict the draw so much.

6. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Never use them for obvious reasons.

7. dennq

dennq Member

Just picked up a Savinelli Oscar dry 123 and ran a quick bowl through it with the filter. Too soon to tell if I liked it.

8. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I don't use filters much at all. I only use them in the first few smokes in the cob break in period. Other than that, I never use them.

9. Artistik

Artistik Member

Joe, through them away is what I do. They restrict the draw for me and, with that bent you are smoking, you should not have a problem with drawing bits of tobacco into your mouth. I don't have a straight cob but, if I ever do, I will probably use the filter.

10. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

I've found that you can trim a couple of inches off of the end of Brigham's rock-maple filters and fit them into just about any pipe. I find them preferable to paper-filters and even the Sav. balsa filters simply because you can actually run a pipe-cleaner mid-smoke without destroying said filter like you would with paper, and yet you can rinse and reuse them countless times like the Sav filters. That said, I mainly use them to restrict the draw in filter-pipes, not so much because I like filters.

11. smokinjoe

smokinjoe Member

That rican toby packs tightly so a filter really is not needed. What did you think of it ?

Artistik likes this.
  12. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

I use the filter if I know I'm smoking something a touch too moist for my briars, the dry stuff I smoke in the briar, not moist enough for a cob goes in my meer.

I also like the filters for something like haddow's delight. I get to enjoy the perique bomb & it kinda takes the edge off.

Artistik likes this.
  13. Artistik

Artistik Member

I liked the "rican" toby. Had some last night in a cob. I like it better in the cob than the briar.

14. Artistik

Artistik Member

Hmmm...Never thought about using a filter for certain types of tobys. I will try out the balsa filters for a blend I have that is too heavy in the latakia for me and see if that takes the edge off somewhat.

jason1977 likes this.
  15. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

yeah, it's like adding an ice cube to a really strong beverage. Takes the edge off. Latakia I love no matter how strong. Perique, if there's a ton of it will singe the nose-hairs, lol. You can always play it off & say, "Yep-yep...aaaaaahhh....nothing like some Haddow's Delight in a good old fashioned cob." Hey, no one has to know, right? LOL!

Artistik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.