1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Finally bought a GBD

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by WyoBob, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I mainly smoked SWR in it. Small town, 40 years ago, not much choice. The pipe smoked great with SWR. I'll probably start out with LNF in the GBD that's coming. Sure hope the combo works.

The pipe doesn't look like it was smoked much. Hope they didn't smoke anything nasty in it.

WyoBob

2. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

The GBD came in the mail on Friday. It's in great shape and hasn't seen much use. It was ghosted but, after about 6 bowls of LNF, the ghost is gone. There was a bit of moisture condensing on the tenon end. I drilled a section of the tenon a bit larger and beveled the tenon opening.

The shank wasn't drilled very well. The exit hole from the shank was "half a circle" higher than the tenon. IOW, the shank and tenon holes didn't line up. It think this contributed to the damp smoke. I made a bushing to fit in the shank to center a drill bit and drilled into the briar below the exit hole in the shank about 1/8 of an inch. Though probably not an ideal solution, this pretty much solved the problem. It smokes like a champ! I got a 91 minute smoke of LNF the other day and it smoked all the way to the bottom. When some cake builds, I think it will smoke even better. To think I'd almost given up on briars. (I only have one other briar, a Savinelli bent bulldog which doesn't smoke as well as the GBD.)

I haven't smoked my Altinok 103 since the GBD came in. I may sell the meer and try & find another 9438 so I have a spare. No worries about dropping the 9438. It's finish makes the GBD cling to your hand like velcro. The 103 meer is slick as the dickens and I've "bobbled" it a couple of times which caused my heart to end up in my throat. I found that dexterity and nimbleness do not increase with age.

WyoBob

jdto likes this.
  3. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

I consider the 9438 a "comfort shape", it just falls nicely in my hand and hangs well too.

WyoBob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.