Finally found a tobacco ghost...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by phinz, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phinz

phinz Active Member

And its name is Altadis Frosty Mint. My Falcon has been ghosted, and it's all I can do to exorcise it. Recommendations other than salt baths, Max Von Sydow and Jason Miller requested. I'm smoking the crap out of this pipe with all sorts of tobaccos trying to remove the vestiges of menthol present (I like menthol a lot, but I apparently need to establish one pipe for it) but nothing is making it leave. Thoughts?

Robin likes this.

2. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

I would save time, and go straight to the salt bath, if its ghosted that bad, save tobacco and the headaches of trying to exorcise it the long slow way.

3. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

And of course alky clean and scrub that stem thoroughly with the bowl off

4. phinz

phinz Active Member

I'm trying Mystic Nerds right now, but they're stymied by the power of the ghost. I would have thought Nerds would be the ultimate Ghostbusters, but even there aren't who I'm going to call.

5. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

You need Mormon magic, those salt flats are your new friend...

psquared and phinz like this.
  6. phinz

phinz Active Member

But if I go that direction. doesn't my pipe ascend to another planet where it is the dominant force? Doesn't that just make it stronger?

7. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Ok, skip the Mormons, just use some nice Kosher salt, Couldn't Hoit! Mazel Tov

Johnny Dingo, psquared and phinz like this.
  8. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I finally got rid of a Lakeland ghost in one of my pipes. It took several salt treatments and I finishe it of with another to acco that had a light ghost that I enjoy and is easier to get rid of (grousemoor). It seems to be fine now.

9. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Thanks to John at Sutliff I have some of that Frosty Mint headed my way. I suspected that it would ghost a pipe pretty bad so I have already identified my Frosty Mint cob and will smoke the mint in no other pipe. I also plan to blend the frost mint with some CH to see how that works for me.

10. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Smoke a whole tin of Ten Russians through it. If one cannot exorcise a ghost, one can always beat it into submission.

11. mcgoven9

mcgoven9 Member

After the salt try smoking 5 Brothers. I keep a pouch on hand just for smoking out a ghost.

12. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I'd soak the stem in oxiclean, do a lite reaming, then a kosher salt and rum/whisky treatment. This should eliminate the problem.

13. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

After the salt treatment try the same process with white vinegar. It has worked for me in the past.

14. Latakia Nights

Latakia Nights Member

Frosty Mint. Interesting stuff on occasion. Really opens up the sinuses. Tingly fresh.

15. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Embrace the ghost! Why not dedicate that falcon bowl to that particular blend? Another excuse to buy another falcon bowl anyway...

Besides, you can make the ghost work for you. I do it sometimes and others must be doing the same: Smoke a bowl of an unscented blend in a lakeland (or whatever aromatic) dedicated pipe to have that added background taste.

Thuber88 and phinz like this.
  16. Robin

Robin Member

I have got to get some of this tobacco to try out, sounds like I 'll need to dedicate an MM to it as well. Why do the Ghost Buster thing with a MM at $10.00 ? I can understand wanting to save a high dollar pipe though.

17. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Member

Replace it with a stronger ghost. The ghost of Condor could probably send your ghost packin'.

18. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

All tobacco ghosts...its just not always offensive.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  19. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

The only thing that works for me is straight Burley. C&D Burley Flake #3 is good for that and after the salt treatments several smokes with it should tone it down. Of course as Monkeyshine says, Condor will send it packing, that's for sure!

20. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

You know what I use fer ghost bustin'? A nice latakia blend, it gets in there good and wipes out any trace of a previous blend.
    On that note...anybody know what's good for removing lat ghosts...besides a flamethrower?
    Seriously though, what they said... either smoke through it, or salt it my friend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.