1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Finally got a Dunhill.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by AndyLowry, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I guess this means I'm all grown up now. It's a 1969 Shell Briar, size 4. It smokes nicely indeed, which is a problem because now I want more Dunhills...

2. WillH

WillH Active Member

I've had a couple.... You can't beat the stems. They set the standard for comfort, IMO!

Enjoy!

Will

3. caleb442

caleb442 Member

Hard to beat a dunhill. Looks like you got a nice one!

4. Jay

Jay Active Member

the best combination

1. Sandblast
    2. Bent
    3. Saddlebit stem
    4. Dunhill

KILLER PIPE

enjoy (duh)

J

5. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Killer bowl !

6. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I agree. Killer!

Nicely done, now I suppose you'll be going after a birthyear Dunny next https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/ohyeah.gif

7. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I would break my 'Resist PAD' rule to aquire a Dunhill birthyear pipe.

8. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

I would like to know what it is about a Dunhill that makes them so special.
    Is it the engineering, or is it the briar, or is it the name??

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Dunno if it would make me feel all grown up, probably too late in my case anyway!

It does look like a seriously nice pipe and I wish you many happy years with it. I'd be very interested to have your impressions of how it actually is to smoke, and what makes the stem/mouthpiece so comfortable.

I might be considering a Dunhill myself at some stage,

Best to all

Gerry

10. WillH

WillH Active Member

From my stand point they are usually absolutely flawless in fit and finish! Superb finish! Lots of little details are done to perfection; like stem flaring, drilling, shape an proportion are always perfect. They are nice - but are they that nice? Some would say yes!

Like I said their stems are the most comfortable of any pipe I have ever owned.

How do they smoke? About like any other well made pipe!IMO

Will

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

What a killer blast ! Bet it's light as heck too . A super classic :thumb:

12. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

I've owned two Dunnies over the years...for me they are a "good" pipe, but certainly not a "great" pipe. I have lesser pipes that smoke much better. I ended up trading both pipes...the mystique is over-rated. JMHO

13. Barako

Barako Member

Congratulations! I love my Dunhills, I'm sure this won't be your last one. :thumb:

14. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

My brother gave his his 1964 shell briar billiard; it looks ok to me, nothing special - I have other pipes I like more for looking at. As far as smoking, I can't explain it. First time I fired it up it was like a Ferrari compared to my Chevrolets. Open draw, great vulcanite, cool exterior and stays lit. Say it's in all my mind and I won't get mad at you - but I don't think it is. (Same thing with this old Celius I just rehabbed; for no good reason it flat out smokes easier/better than most pipes I own. I couldn't possibly explain why.)

Would I spend hundreds each for five more Dunhills just like it? Nah. Glad I have it though. I does have s stand-out quality but the next five might not. :eek:hyeah:

15. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

Congrats on the pipe. Looks great and smokes great, can't beat really beat that combo.

16. WillH

WillH Active Member

You are describing exactly what I try to achieve with a good briar pipe broken in! Exactly! :goodjob:

Ya know the deal about silk purses and pigs ears....well, it's the same with pipes. There must be something there to start with, and in our case it's the briar. All other things being equal of course.

Will

17. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I can't really add anything to WillH and Mr. Moo's observations-- it's everything they say. Lightweight, cool-smoking, proportioned elegantly, and the engineering on the airflow is outstanding.

That said, I don't think I'd hand over the pile of cash that a new one costs. There are better values out there. If a '56 Tanshell Prince or Bent Billiard ever floats by me, though, I'm snagging it. :groucho:

18. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Mmm think I might know what you mean by the stem now. Just got my silver spigot 03 Pete and the stem finish and vulcanite quality is extremely good including the polishing around the button and flare. This is something new to me and I want to keep feeling it with my tongue. Sounds weird but maybe I am.

19. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

I think I know what you mean. My new Pete has opened my eyes to a bit more quality but we will see how it goes, so far so good.

20. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz Member

Congratulations on your 1st Dunhill!

All I can say is the ones I have are great smokers. The older ones were oil cured, maybe that has something to do with it. I dont really care so much why they smoke so good as I am about finding more of them at a decent price!

Enjoy!

Duke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.