Finding Laurel Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Capt, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt

Capt Active Member

I had about a pound of this cellared since 2002. I really enjoy this flake from Taven Tobacco. It was blended for them by Samuel Gawith. I am down to about 3 oz of this, and I cannot seem to find it anywhere. Can anyone help me?

2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I asked about this blend about a year ago, and no one seemed to know where to find it. It may be out of production now. Maybe if someone has a cellar full and want to part with some...?

Edit: You might email Pipestud and have him keep an eye out for you. He trades in consignment tobacco: http://www.pipestud.com/

3. Capt

Capt Active Member

Brad, I was afraid of that, being a Gawith flake and all. I don't know what I will do when this last few oz are gone. I wonder if Laurel flake is similar to any other SG flake?

4. BradNTX

There may be others that would know, but I'd check with Puff and Mington. They both have a lot of experience with SG blends. If they have not had Laurel Flake, you might be able to describe it to see if they know of a similar one. Then again, you might be able to email SG direct and get a good answer. enquiries@samuelgawith.co.uk

Capt likes this.
  5. Capt

Capt Active Member

Thanks for the email Brad. I have tried a few flakes from SG, but nothing was ever like Laurel. I am now a firm believer, if you like a blend, buy POUNDS of it.

BradNTX likes this.
  6. Capt

Capt Active Member

Hey Brad, I wonder if it is similar to St James Flake? Both contain Va and Perique.

7. BradNTX

I've never had either, so couldn't say. Did you check out the reviews on TR? Sounds like StJ is a sweetish Virginia with just a touch of Perique. Does that sound familiar? If Laurel was a peppery VaPer instead of a sweet one, it might be different. Than again, if you are smoking a well aged blend, it will taste different than something new off the shelf anyway. Wouldn't hurt to try, huh?

8. Capt

Capt Active Member

Just another excuse to order more I guess. lol. I wouldnt say Laurel is peppery, but does have a slight sweetness.

9. BradNTX

Sounds like it might be close, then. If you get some, let us know how it goes.

10. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Hi Capt. I would go with the St.James flake when you run out of the Laurel Flake.. I have had both and the St.James is much better IMHO. or you can try Gawith and Hoggarth Louisiana Perique Flake very very close match to the Laurel. you won't be disappointed with either....

11. Capt

Capt Active Member

Thanks for the help Brad!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.