Fire Brothers?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by AndyLowry, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I've seen Five Brothers mentioned in different contexts here on this board, and have to wonder if it's the same thing I remember from my youth. Is it wrapped in brown paper with a Victorian logo, cut like steel wool, and very dry?

The country folks back in Ohio called it "Fire Brothers," and I always thought it an apt description. I was surprised to see it mentioned here; I haven't seen it anywhere since the mid-70's.

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

That's it. I get no bite from it but it can pack a Nic punch.

3. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

the "Five Brothers" I've been buying locally is in an aluminized pouch similar to PA "luxury pouch". It still looks like steel wool with the occasional bullseye thrown in.
    Actually not a bad smoke if you are a bit careful with it....

4. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Does anyone know of an etailer that has it in stock?

edit: only place I can find it is cigar town. Has anyone ordered from here before? Impressions?

5. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

6. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

7. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

Sorry. I didn't notice.

8. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz Member

9. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Thanks. Its always nice to have an endorsement from a fellow pipester, just gives you that extra feeling of confidence when placing your order.

10. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Well then let me put your confidence at a higher level, Byron Oost is a great guy, and he will take care of you. On Five Brothers, he is the cheapest on the net. He is as honest as they come!

11. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All
    ...and if you can't get it anywhere else Rich at 4Noggins stocks it.

I use it to break in a new pipe - shifts the raw taste and gets an initial cake established very quickly - like in two days. Also use it to shift ghosts - it'll even clear Condor after about five bowls and the third reason I like to keep some in? It's just a damn good no nosense smoke when you need one!

Happy smoking

Gerry

12. morleysson

morleysson Member

Great tobacco, and the last of the late 19th/early 20th century string cuts, or birdseye tobacco. First produced by Finzer, then American (actually American Tobacco had about 20 string cuts, including Cutty Pipe and Honest, and Ivanhoe Long Cut), and now By Pinkerton in KY. It is a great cake-maker and exorcizer of previous tobaccos' ghosts. It can be stronger than blends to which many are accustomed. I prefer it in a cob, or a meer, both materials seem to slacken the initial impact. I have blended it 1:1 by weight with ERRd, and Uhle's plug cut, and 5Bros enhances the burn of both.

13. Jay

Jay Active Member

Cool, I've been looking for the Five brothers for a few weeks!

J

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi all,

A couple of posts back you'll see Morleysson - as as I've posted before this is The Man from whom I got the tip about 5 Bros shifting any ghost.

I can truly say this a man who's opinions I greatly respect - he talks from experience and has probably forgotten more about pipes, pipe smoking, tobaccos and Meers than I ever knew; glad he visits from time to time - just wish he did it more!

Best to all

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.