Fireside pipe tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by wft1120, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wft1120

wft1120 Member

In the seventies I smoked a tobcacco named "Firseside". I liked the tobaccco immensley but suddenly it disappeared from the market. According to the tin I still had it mas made by MacBaren for Firside Tobacco Co of New Jersey. I contacted MacBaren several years ago and the woman I spoke to advised me that she would check and get back to me as I was looking for a blend that was similiar to Fireside. She never got back to me. Does anyone remember the blend ? Anyone know of a similiar blend ? It wasn't an pensive blend. Any info would be helpful. Thank you.

Tobacky and User4408 like this.

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I wasn't smoking a pipe back then, to say the least. You might find someone that remembers it, you may also not.

Periodically check ebay for a sealed tin - you never know what will pop up.

In the meantime, what was the blend like? Aromatic (and if so, flavored with what if you know?), burley, VA, latakia? There might be someone here who could help you find a "next best thing"

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Currently there are a few tins on ebay which are Mac Baren blends still around today marked as being distributed by "Fireside Tobacco" out of New York, NY. Not New Jersey. Might this be the same company? I couldn't find any blends actually called fireside, though

4. mojo66

mojo66 Member

5. user2725

user2725 Active Member

What's it like? I am considering getting a tin.

6. user2725

user2725 Active Member

The Fireside you smoked in the 70's must have been a different Fireside because the stuff on ebay wasn't around until the 80's.

7. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Post a review when you get it, I am considering getting a tin myself, hopefully if your review is positive and there are any left by then.

8. mojo66

mojo66 Member

You bet! :)

9. User4408

User4408 Member

Hello wft1120,

I happen to be enjoying a bowl of Fireside right now, and I agree with you: it's delicious! The 7oz. tin came to me by chance on eBay while purchasing a 7oz. tin of Mixture from the same vendor. Both tins were said to date from the 70's. They arrived in marvelously moist condition, ready to smoke.

Fireside strikes me as a very soft-smoking burley blend, similar in body and aroma to Mac Baren Golden Extra. It's not quite as heavy as the other MB burley blends such as Symphony or London. But that could be the result of the aging. In any case, the soft nutty character of burley is unmistakable.

Cheers, Mark

10. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

Probably has the distributor's sticker of Fireside Industries out of Moonachie, NJ, which is known to have had a relationship with Mac Baren from the 1970s into the 1980s.

11. wft1120

wft1120 Member

Hi BriarRabbit,
    You have located the place that sold Fireside Pipe tobacco in the seventies. It was sold by Fireside Industries out of Mooonachie , New Jersey. I think it was sold only in the seventies. I have been able to pick up two 7 oz. cans fom ebay recently. But from what I hear the Fireside I like was produced in the seventies. I purchase one aromatic and ome extra mild. Neither of them taste the same as the Fireside I bought in the seventies. According to the seller the Fireside tobaccos I purchased recently were produced in the eighties. Of course since the tobacco is over forty years old, the taste may have changed over the years. The two tins I recently purchase do not have the same colored tins. I think I may email MacBaren again and hope I get an answer as to the blend I purchased in the seventies and if they changed the formula for the blkends produced in the eighties. Thanks for the info BriarRabbit.

BriarRabbit likes this.
  12. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

That is what I would do: email MB with pics of tins... keep us posted!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.