1. This forum is for DIY Repair, Maintenance & Restoration. It is for people seeking advice on maintaining their own pipes. It is not for showing off commercial work done by yourself or anyone else.

Dismiss Notice

First Attempt at a Bowl Repair

Discussion in 'Repair, Maintenance & Restoration' started by User3940, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User3940

User3940 Active Member

A guy at work has been excited about a vintage Peterson that he won on eBay. His excitement was dashed when the pipe came in and he found out that the seller only showed the good side of the pipe. The bad side had a crack that goes all the way through to the bowl, and cracks around the bowl rim. He brought it to work to show me and stated that he was going to just throw it away. I have been wanting to try a bowl repair so asked him to allow me to work on it to see if I could salvage it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I reamed the bowl, but could not correct the over-reaming that it had already experienced. I got all the cake out, exposed the crack on the inside, then gave the pipe a good salt/Rum soak. After the bowl was cleaned out I sanded off the existing dark brown finish to expose all of the cracks. Cleaned out the cracks, then applied a briar dust Super Glue mixture into the cracks from the outside. Sanded them smooth once they were dry, then finished sanding the bowl and stem with Micromesh pads. Once done I used Tripoli, White Diamond, then Carnuba to bring back the shine. The pipe has no color applied at this time. If I apply a brown Fiebings Dye to the pipe the crack will all but disappear behind the color, but I will leave that up to the owner. I have one step left and that is to mud the bowl since I did not want to put Super Glue inside the bowl. The crack inside is now just hairline and barely visible, but I figure a good mudding will give it some additional protection.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It may not be as pretty as it was when new, but this old dog now has more service in it's future.

[​IMG][​IMG]

A lesson for the newbs...........do not bid on a pipe on eBay unless the seller includes decent pics that show the condition of the entire pipe.

bubbagump, CidCitrus and Rockbass like this.

2. bosun

bosun Active Member

Good job Coastie bringing an old soldier back from the grave!

3. esteban

esteban Active Member

I like old briars with battle scars........... good job. I am sure he will enjoy his old vet now.....

4. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Awesome save, Coastie.

5. Super K

Super K Active Member

Nice work! I would be mad if someone pulled the wool over my eyes and sold that pipe claiming it was in good shape. Rustification would help hide it as well wouldn't it?

martydrmr and bubbagump like this.
  6. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Nice work. Great job bringing it back to life. That was pretty douchy on the part of the seller.:mad:

7. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Yes, rustification would hide it, but this is a vintage Pete and does not in my mind need to be tampered with. I will respect the Old Dogs.

8. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Will be interesting to see how this holds up to the heat and moisture of being smoked. You will keep us informed?

9. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I have asked the owner of the pipe to keep me updated on how it holds up, and I will update here, if I hear anything. The owner of the pipe was thrilled when he saw the pipe after I finished it. He just knew it was a trash can candidate before the work, and was surprised to see that it is usable once again.

10. waxman65

waxman65 Member

Nice Job Coastie please keep us up dated !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.