First blend for a friend

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by LifeOfRiley, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

I'll be seeing a friend of mine soon who has interest in pipe smoking, but has never really taken it up. He may be looking to me for some recommendations. What would you suggest?

My friend used to smoke cigarettes, and has dipped Copenhagen most of his adult life, so he wouldn't need something heavily cased to get used to tobacco or nicotine. Maybe a va/burley that stays lit easily? A light English?

2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

My wife bought my first tobacco and pipe for me all on her own. It was suggested by an experienced tobacconist and pipe maker that she get me a few different blends to try to see what I might like. It was great advice! There are many to choose from, but I would go by flavor, easy to smoke, easy to find:

Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian is a great Oriental-Lat blend in smoothness and flavor.
    Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut- a great, easy to smoke, no fuss Burley with super flavor
    Samuel Gawith Golden Glow- one of the SG blends you can find and a really tasty Virginia

RTOdhner likes this.
  3. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Carter Hall or Sir Walter might be a good starter.

RTOdhner likes this.
  4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I'd keep it simple, and perhaps a good burley/va blend with as little bite as possible to start with. Most OTC burleys would be a good bet, and so would Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake, and if you wanted to go slightly fancier then Robert McConnell's Scottish Cake is a must try. Delicious burley, Virginia, and just a bit of perique. Not too complex, but dang if it isn't tasty stuff!

RTOdhner likes this.
  5. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

CH, SWRA, and Maybe some H&H Butternut Burley.. Those are all very easy to smoke, and I've had good luck hooking interested new pipers to the hobby with them.

Lestrade and RTOdhner like this.
  6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

+1

7. Artistik

Artistik Member

Can't beat Carter Hall in a MM Cob to start.

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Uhle's Blend 00. Good, rich flavor that's not terribly complex. Stays lit easily without heavy puffing. Great for an ex-cig smoker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.