First bowl ever just now

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by LutzSpearo, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Hi all. Well, the title says it all! : ) When I got home from work this evening, this was what awaited me:

[​IMG]

After much back and forth, I decided to try the McClelland Blackwoods Flake for my first bowl. The tobacco smelled great but not as strong as I had expected after reading reviews on TobbacoReviews. I did get some ketchup/bbq flavors from the tin, but not very pronounced. It wasn't wet at all, just kind of springy, so I didn't let it sit on a napkin or anything, just got straight to it.

I watched a video from Smoking Pipe Tobacco on YouTube (actually, several videos) so I tried to follow his advice. It's a broken flake, so I figured I should rub it out a little bit. I don't really know for sure how to do that, so I just put a wad of the tobacco in my hand and rolled it around with my other hand with light pressure, like I was rolling a ball of play-do or something. It broke it up a bit, and I filled my pipe like the guy showed. I did about 4 charring lights, and got it going pretty well on the final light. But it wasn't really my "final" light lol. I tried tamping down with just the weight of the tamper ever couple of minutes, and tried to just gently draw on the pipe roughly every 15 seconds or so, but I still had to relight every 5 minutes or so. It took me about an hour to smoke the whole bowl, which is a little longer than I had hoped, maybe its because the bowl is kind of deep?

But what really matters is I enjoyed it! It was very relaxing, I just finished and feel like I want to go to sleep right now : ) I enjoyed it much more than cigars, the taste was nicer and I liked the fact my lips weren't touching the tobacco. When I smoke cigars I usually let the smoke roll out of my nose on almost every draw, and I found myself doing that with the pipe as well. Besides the little sting you get in your nostrils once in a while, I didn't notice any discomfort so I don't think I had tongue bite (although I'm not exactly sure what that is). I cannot explain what it tasted like, I'm not that experienced yet, but it was good. Not as strong as I thought it would be, which was pleasant. There will definitely be times that I want a more full flavor or stronger smoke, but this was a nice middle ground.

I wish I had another pipe right now cause I want to try another one! Guess I'll have to wait until the morning.

2. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Some of us test the waters with new hobbies while others just jump right in. You seem to be somewhere way beyond both.....:puffy:

Ha ha! That's quite a stash for a first-timer. You've got some good ones though. Since you began with a Virginia, I'd keep smoking Virginias before getting into your aromatics. Going from VA's to Aros is an easier step than vice versa. Just my two cents.

fishnbanjo, Eric Pierson and YAPPG like this.
  3. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest Member

Blackwoods Flake is one of my favorite Virginia blends - good choice! It is sort of off-the-deep-end into the world of Virginia, but good on you for trying out Pancake Blackwoods Flake. If the tobacco seems a bit moist - like it would take 4 charring lights to get it lit - you might like setting it to dry on a sheet of paper for 10-15 minutes before packing.

fishnbanjo and YAPPG like this.
  4. YAPPG

YAPPG Member

Frog Morton and looks like Three Oaks...cant go wrong with any of that for first time exploring. Looks good, have fun is the main thing. You dont need to wait very long to resmoke that pipe. Just wipe the bowl with a paper napkin or run a pipe cleaner thru the stem.

fishnbanjo likes this.
  5. bubbagump

bubbagump Sales Account

That's quite the first order.

fishnbanjo likes this.
  6. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

That is a very impressive first order. But, one pipe? Looks like you're off to a grand start with your tobacco stock. Enjoy. Happy smoking? :bing:

(One pipe? :) )

fishnbanjo likes this.
  7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

My friend - not to worry about smoking that one cob back-to-back-to-back. Sometimes I smoke mine five bowlsful in a day.

fishnbanjo, Summit, MainePipe and 3 others like this.
  8. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

One hellava first shot! Glad you liked it!

fishnbanjo likes this.
  9. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

I would like to be the first to say that if the pipe thing isn't for you I would be happy to take all of that off your hands for you. :) But seriously, way to go! I think a lot of people give up on the pipe simply because they pick some crappy tobacco to start with. I know I almost did. Tobacco Reviews saved me. You have definitely ruled that out with those selctions. Well done you have done some good research. Make sure you smoke it slow and you will love what you have there. I would suggest busting into that Irish Flake sometime soon. Its the bomb!

fishnbanjo and Coastal Bend like this.
  10. Marc Freeman

Marc Freeman Member

Impressive for a first try !
    Here in the UK that little lot would cost a fortune !
    Good luck and enjoy them all.
    PS. Buy more pipes.

11. furious

furious Junque collector

Well that's some first order!! My first baccy was a 14-oz. can of Half & Half!! Good luck and welcome to PSF!!

12. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Very nice! Also, don't get too frustrated about relights, especially with Blackwoods. That stuff is hard to rub out and can be tough to keep lit as well. I've been smoking for several years and I have a hard time smoking Blackwoods if I don't do it just right.

Glad you enjoyed it, and like Moo said, smoke the hell outta that cob! They can take the abuse.

13. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

A thought on your selections...

I always heard how great University Flake was. I tried a tin and after a few bowlsful thought it was a complete dog. I put the unsealed tin on the shelf and came back to it about a month later. Wow! Some air and a chance to breath made it into a whole nuther experience. Some tobaccos do that. Night and day.

Rodfather, fishnbanjo, buistd and 2 others like this.
  14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Why wait till morning to have another bowl .. go ahead and light up ! Glad you enjoyed your first bowl ! May you enjoy another bazillion :)

fishnbanjo, Jay and Thuber88 like this.
  15. SthrnMan

SthrnMan Member

I'm impressed. In for a penny, in for a pound!
    Enjoy. And don't worry about smoking something else out of the pipe. Have a little fun with it.

fishnbanjo likes this.
  16. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Enjoying a bowl of the Irish Flake right now... It is STRONG! And by the way I do have two more pipes somewhere in the mail : )

fishnbanjo, WalkinStick and krusty like this.
  17. krusty

krusty Active Member

Startin' out with the big guns and enjoying it, your a piper for life now!!

highstump and fishnbanjo like this.
  18. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

What do you guys do with your open tins to retain freshness and moisture content? I'm afraid to open too many of these tins to try them, because it's gunna take forever ever to complete one tin this way and they will all dry out.
    I was thinking putting each open tin in a small ziplock bag, I'd like to avoid buying a bunch of Mason/Bell jars. Plus that's one more pain in the ass for me, trying to find Mason jars in Korea... I don't even want to think about it lol.

fishnbanjo likes this.
  19. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Different people use different methods. If you're going to use zip lock bags, double them up for good measure. Can you find any container that has an airtight seal? For canning food? Those McClelland tins work just fine for some weeks, depending on climate. Maybe work your way through 2 or 3 tins at time.

btw... Very impressive first order!

fishnbanjo likes this.
  20. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Well, this afternoon I went down to a Korean version of the Dollar Store, and I found a couple of 250ml (about 1/2 pint) size glass jars with metal screw-down lids. I'm going to check they are air-tight by boiling the glass jars, then screw on the lids and see if they create a vacuum as they cool. If so, I'll know I can trust the seal and I'll go back to the same store for more. I hope these work, this looks to be the perfect size for a 50g tin.

I have a handful of those hydration discs coming eventually, they are off in mail-land with my other pipes etc somewhere between Asia and the east coast of the US.

Thuber88, fishnbanjo and Eric Pierson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.