First bowl...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by MudHen, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MudHen

MudHen New Member

I smoked two bowls out of my MM Country Gentleman today. The blendq was Boswell's Berry Cobbler. The first bowl was packed too tightly as I had trouble keeping it lit. I also put the toby straight in. The second bowl was around two hours after the first and I let the Boswell's dry for about 45 minutes. I used kind of a two pinch method and hardly pushed in the tobacco at all. This bowl was a lot easier to keep lit. I still had to relight often but I managed to only heat m pipe up twice. I did have trouble smoking the bottom of the bowl and couldn't really get it lit back.

Overall,I would say it was a pleasant experience. I didn't get the greatest taste but it was in o way bad. From a lot of the reviews I had read I was expecting Berry Cobbler to taste exactly like it smelled. And like I said, while it wasn't bad at all I didnt taste that sweet thick taste I was expecting. I assume the discerning of different tobacco tastes comes after a while? Will it take a while for the specific and unique tastes to stand out to me? Right now the bowls I smoked tasted a lot like a lighter type of cigar.

I also have to say that 10 bucks for a Country Gentleman is a great deal. Very pleased with the cob.

Professor likes this.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Most of those aromatics don't taste exactly how they smell - you are, after all, smoking. Peach tobacco will be peachy, but it's not like eating a peach. You'll get more out of it in time, and with practice, as well. Sounds like a nice afternoon anyway!

3. MudHen

MudHen New Member

Yeah, I have just read a lot of reviews where everywhere talks about detecting a taste of cherry here or caramel there. I couldn't detect any type of "flavoring". Not saying this is bad as the smoke was very light and had zero tongue bite and no unpleasant after taste.

I also just smoked a morning bowl of Bear Blend and I really enjoyed it. Half way through the bowl I tamped a little firmer than I thought necessary but it seemed to allow my tobacco to burn into ash more readily. I think I had packed a little too loosely to begin with. My first couple bowls yesterday didn't burn to white ash. Most of my half bowl this morning did.

Am I also right in assuming that the thick smoke you get from the initial light and subsequent re-lights is not going to be there through the actual puffing of the pipe. I got smoke just not as thick and plentiful as when I light up. Just want to make sure I am not doing anything "wrong". Overall, this morning's book and half bowl was quite enjoyable.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Less smoke probably means more flavor, oddly enough - if you are burning a ton and get it real hot, you just burn up all the flavor molecules, the oils and sugars. So yeah, you get a huge pile when you first light and then you want it to settle right down.

5. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Sounds like you figured things out pretty quickly MudHen. Drying and not packing the tobacco too tightly.

For your initial light, you might try the light-tamp, light-tamp thing. If you'll notice on the first charring light, the tobacco will rise in the bowl. Light tamp, i.e. the weight of the tamper only. Light again. Does the tobacco rise? If so, lightly tamp again and relight. After about three cycles, the tobacco surface should quit rising, be evenly lit and the rest of the bowl should burn better. From then on, you can light tamp and relight if needed as the tobacco burns down.

WyoBob

6. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

best advice I have gotten here ever was "take small puffs and never let the bowl get even warm"
    other wise you are burning away the flavors...

Professor likes this.
  7. Artistik

Artistik Member

Boswell's aromatics are mild in the taste of the aro allowing the tobaccos to stand out. I've smoked Berry Cobbler and I do recognize the berry taste. But, then, I have smoked alot of JM's blends so I know what to expect. Pennsylvania Dutch Treat and Pipers Pleasure are very good cherry flavors, but again, the cherry taste is more subtle than Middleton's Cherry Blend. Bear Blend is another awesome smoke!

8. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I myself like aros once in awhile, but not fruitty aro's or whiskey type aro's. I like the vanilla's, chocolate's, honey's, coffee's, and coconut ones.
    Just can't handle the berry ones. They never taste how they smell. At least the many I have had.
    I tried Boswell's Berry Cobbler too and was just: meh

9. MudHen

MudHen New Member

Good to know. All you guys, very informative. Thanks a lot. I do have to say that Bear Blend is a VERY GOOD smoke. I can't believe the difference that smoking a pipe "the right way" adds to the experience. As I have previously mentioned, my first foray into pipe smoking ended badly. I had no idea how to load the pipe and I fried my tongue. These Boswell blends are quite a bit better than the Captain Black I tried to hot box years ago!

Artistik likes this.
  10. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Hot box Captain Black in a pipe :eek: Glad you have found your way! :th1:

Artistik likes this.
  11. EmperorGix

EmperorGix Member

Heck, I'm glad he survived... :D (Been there, done that. That said, now I can enjoy CBW because I enjoy it slowly...)

All these guy have said everything that needs to be said. Heck, you even started with what are, in my humble opinion, some of the very best aromatics.

12. cityhick

cityhick Member

I started out with a cob also and was dissapointed at first. It seems to me though cobs need to be smoked a half a dozen times before you can really enjoy just the tobacco itself. I have two cobs that I smoke on a regular basis and mostly smoke Bear blend or Dutch Treat from Boswells through them but getting to the point where I enjoyed them wasnt much fun. Dont give up on the cobs or the Boswells just be patient, Im glad I did. Boswells tobacco satisfied that aroma/flavor combo I was looking for when I picked up pipe smoking about a year ago. Now I just need to start expanding my choices a bit to the many other fine tobaccos out there. Good luck.

EmperorGix and Artistik like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.