• This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

First Briar Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocipio

Alright, so I've had a new peterson on order since December and there is no ETA yet. So, I am going to change my order.

I am looking at around $60 or less.
I really like the Brandy type bowls.

Anyone have any thoughts on the following?

Peterson Classic Rustic
Savinelli Trevi

Any other suggestions on other good beginner briars?

Shootinok

The Sav's can take a filter - maybe a good idea for moisture. Then you can always take it out later if you decide you don't need it.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
What else are you thinking, Rugs? I had the same initial thought, but I couldn't honestly name a pipe at 60 bucks that I think is going to out perform a Savinelli. At 75, things change, and at 100, change again, and at 150 I can make some serious recommendations for pipes that would be on par with anything in the world.

But at 60 bucks, I can't immediately come up with a "more likely" than a Savinelli, and Ocipio's moisture issues with his other briars (astutely noted by Shootinok) make the filter a really intelligent option imho.

Bri2k

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Gabe, I can only assume that these pipes represent a sort of failed top-tier pipe which gets rusticated and stemmed and sent out. The rustication is of a style that Kaywoodie and others were using back a hell of a long time ago, like even in the fifties, particularly on their "sportsman" type pipes. Again it would have been covering a briar defect, as rustication usualy does. It makes for an affordable pipe that is of better quality perhaps than some others like it.

BUT

If you don't like it, you don't like it.

I kinda do. :lol:

yinyang

Some rim charring is to be expected.
Patron
What about the Cassano's 65Caddy posted about the other day? 60-75 bucks, and there are several brandy styles present...very pretty. (Can't comment on smoking quality). You could also go the ebay route.

Oglethorpe

Gabe, I can only assume that these pipes represent a sort of failed top-tier pipe which gets rusticated and stemmed and sent out. The rustication is of a style that Kaywoodie and others were using back a hell of a long time ago, like even in the fifties, particularly on their "sportsman" type pipes. Again it would have been covering a briar defect, as rustication usualy does. It makes for an affordable pipe that is of better quality perhaps than some others like it.

BUT

If you don't like it, you don't like it.

I kinda do. :(
Ah, I was just feeling a little punchy yesterday. But in all honestly I don't like 'em. If they rusticated the whole thing I'd probably buy that poker. For real.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
I'll make sure and tell Bill Feuerbach that Gabe from PSF thinks that the Supergrain Handmade Line should undergo some manufacturing changes. ;)

Better yet, why'ncha just stop being such a cheap prick and grab one of these then, poker boy?

My link

Young Gun

I like ruffinogold's suggestion of $30 on a pipe and the rest on some tobacco. That's about what I did, and I snagged up a bent Grabow with filter that I've been real happy with, I won't pretend it's comparable to a $60 pipe, but for a beginner I think it's all I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.