1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

First Briar Suggestion

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nicktrap, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicktrap

nicktrap Member

While i am enjoying my two cobs and making good use of them, I would like to get a briar when I get back home. I could use some guidance toward making a prudent purchase. Being retired and on the senior side (74), my budget is limited, so would like to keep it below $100. I will add a couple of more MMs to the rotation so as not to overdo the briar. At one time I had a nice collection of a local Detroit tobacconist brand, Lafond, that I am sorry to say are long gone. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Nick

2. muddler

muddler Member

3. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

You cant go wrong with Petersons or Savinellis. You'll pick up a reasonable example of either for that price. I'd usually reccomend mid range Savs over Petersons of the same price, as their build quality is slightly more consistent (just my opinion).

However, as a US pipe smoker, you may find advice from a fellow statesider to be more useful, as there are maybe pipes available over there that I wouldnt have come across in the UK.

Personally, my Savinelli Oscar Tiger 603 is probably one of my absolute favorite pipes, and that falls comfortably into your price range. I'd reccomend it to anyone.

That said, we have some brilliant pipe makers on the forum who would also be able to offer up fantastic pipes within your price range. I highly reccomend Basil Meadows, having just recieved 2 pipes from him which I am over the moon with!

nicktrap likes this.
  4. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

In that budget range you could get 3 or 4 Kaywoodie Saxons. These are stinger less and filter less. I can't think of bigger bang for your buck than these. At least in briar. Smoke like pipes costing more than twice what they do.

nicktrap likes this.
  5. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

My $.02...Savinelli (and their Baronet second) have a lot of nice pipes in the x < $100 range. Some under $70 (the Baronet's are great pipes in the x < $60 range). You could pick up one Savinelli for x <$70 and a Kaywoodie Saxon, as Doug mentioned above.

You could also get one Kaywoodie Saxon and one Dr. Grabow...and have a good chunk of money left over for accessories, tobacco, or booze.:D

Tsalagi44 and nicktrap like this.
  6. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

I started off with an Adsorba briar, don't know if you can get these in the States but it was essential the cheapest brand name available and it's served me so well I've got another one. The equivalent cost would be about $30. They're not the best pipes in the world and obvious don't compare against my Peterson, but as an easily affordable starter pipe it works wonderfully and I still get good smokes from it, even if I do tend to save my favourite tobaccos for my better pipes. If they're not available in the US, I'm sure there's ample similar brands that might serve just as well, that way you can save up to get something better. If you fancy something towards the top end of your budget however, a Peterson is as good as any.

7. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

All good advice above.

If it were me, and I was going to have only 1 nice briar pipe, I would want a hand made pipe. There is nothing wrong with factory pipes, and in fact 12 of my 14 pipes are factory pipes, but my very best smoker is hand made by a member of this forum. It also gives you something to be proud of, as nobody else in the world will have one like it.

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  8. Pipe Matt

Pipe Matt Member

I can also recommend Savinelli. :)

9. User3940

User3940 Active Member

For your first briar why not start out slowly with a Dr. Grabow. I have yet to smoke a bad one, and they can be had rather inexpensively, especially if you look at eBay. If you get an estate (pre-owned) from e-Bay and it needs to be cleaned up restored, drop me a line and I'll take care of it for you. If you need an opinion on whether an eBay pipe is worth bidding on then post up the link and we will happily share our opinions.

10. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

Nicktrap, rare to hear of someone who has smoked a LaFond Pipe. I can recall shopping at the store on Cadillac Square in Detroit. my father had several of their pipes. On to the subject at hand, my two favorite brands of briar pipes are Savinelli and Peterson. There are a couple of Nording pipes here along with a Karl Erik and a Wiley. The handmade pipes are nice but the Savinelli and Peterson pipes are smoked more often. Just my $.02.

nicktrap likes this.
  11. vmfa314

vmfa314 Member

Go with a Peterson or Savinelli for that price but try to spend more to the 100 dollar side for either of the makers and when they are truly broken in you will have a great smoker. The petes in that range are slower to break in than the say the 130 dollar ones but just smoke slow and smoke till the bottom of the bowl and they will end up great. Also if you have no experience with the p-lip stay with a fish tail. I have both types and the p-lip takes some getting used to. I also have a Chacom Samba that is breaking in wonderfully and it was like 99 dollars at the Cigar international store. Now if you want to spend like 130 look at Boswell pipes you can call and see what they have in the store as the advertised pipes tend to go very fast.
    Mack

12. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Pete, Sav, Kaywoodie all great (I'm partial to Peterson). Tsuge makes some perfectly decent entry level pipes you can find quite affordable online. Butz Choquin is a decent French brand in that price range, and toward the upper end Sebastien Beo makes quality but smaller bowled pipes in France.

13. Rockbass

Rockbass Member

My first pipes were from Stanwell and are now in the 30 to 40 year range smoking wonderfully. There are many available in the < $100.00 bracket.

14. nicktrap

nicktrap Member

Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions, now working them down to a couple of favorites.

15. DS86

DS86 Member

Peterson System? I've never had any Pete, but I hear the System pipes were made for new and wet smokers.

16. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

You can't go wrong with a Grabow new or used and you can also order right from the factory.

KingsTarantula, DS86 and User3940 like this.
  17. Splat

Splat Member

You just can't beat a Savinelli. ™ :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.