1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

First estate

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by me2157, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. me2157

me2157 Member

so its been less than a week on my pipe smoking journey and i couldnt resist a cheap ebay estate , it just caught my eye and i thought about it all day , its labeled as a "A. Garfinkel" now im new to this whole thing and i have not heard of the brand but does anyone know anything about it ? [​IMG]

dBear and Johnny Dingo like this.

2. me2157

me2157 Member

thats the ebay picture , it should be here next week or so , and if the seller is actually on this forum than thank you in advance lol

3. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Nice estate! Geez I wonder how old that tobacco jar is?

4. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Good luck with that one, I got my estate Pete a couple of weeks ago and tried it with a small sample of real tobacco, its a great pipe !
    Be careful or the PAD can eat your funds up fast, so many choices and not that pricey down to cheap for some decent estates.
    There are so many out there for sale, don't go crazy if you miss one or ten.

5. me2157

me2157 Member

It looks quite old lol, and I got this for 12 bucks shipped so im pretty happy

6. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

True this! I did the same thing with PAD as I did with firearms. Lost focus on priorities. A few really nice pipes (2 dozen, lol) is all you need. Tobacco, tobacco, tobacco, tobacco.

7. lifeon2

lifeon2 Member

Bless you pipedia

A. Garfinkel's was a celebrated Washington, D.C. tobacco retailer started back in 1968. In 1972, author Hugh Sidey wrote in Newsweek Magazine that while interviewing then President Richard M. Nixon he spotted some pipes and a tin of Garfinkel tobacco on Nixon's desk. Garfinkel's closed in the early 1980's. His pipes are stamped A. Garfinkel, Wash D.C. and some are marked Algerian Briar and others simply Imported Briar. Many appear to be Made in France and are probably a "house brand" marked for the shop. It appears the shop was more known for their tobacco blends under their own names, and they carried pipes of their own branding as well.

Looks like you snagged a pretty cool piece.

dBear and Spillproof like this.
  8. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

True, all the guns or all the pipes in the world, are worthless with nothing to stick in them.
    Lots of folks don't get that...
    I just look for nice enough based upon funds, and maybe improvement over what I have now.
    Once I get to real tobaccos and properly cleaning them, I know things will improve.
    Two estates will do for a while for me..
    Gives me 9, but technically all of mine are estates by new standards, nothing newer than 30 years, lol

9. me2157

me2157 Member

Im working on it....just trying to pace myself...i found a decent shop not too far from my house that i visited today that had a nice variety of pipes and tobaccos ....although i felt a little out of place in comparison to the far more elegant and classy people sitting in the lounge area as i had on my hoodie ,hat,jeans, and boots lol ...maybe next time i'll wear my suit

10. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Just pull down the hoody for the cameras, lol
    You are their bread and butter, dont worry about it, they need your money, be it pipe cleaners or some $5000 piece of briar art.
    Some things should use the printer companies logic, give you a printer for next to nothing, cause they make all their money on the ink..

11. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

I had a Garfinkels billiard, it was a nice smoking pipe. Enjoy yours!

dBear likes this.
  12. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I have a Garfinkel's Dublin and it is a very nice pipe.

dBear likes this.
  13. me2157

me2157 Member

So safe to say 12 dollars Well spent??

dBear likes this.
  14. lifeon2

lifeon2 Member

Quite safe

15. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

A bonus is that it looks like it's in pretty good shape. Stem's clean & shiny, no char on the rim. Either it never got much use, or someone may have already done the restoration work for you.

16. me2157

me2157 Member

It said restored, and the bowl has a oval shape in other pics, I like How odd it is

17. me2157

me2157 Member

So ive recieved the pipe, i like it...although the oval shape bowl is a bit goofy....so far it seems to smoke a little harsh but not enough time to really judge yet....but it looks great and doesnt have any odd smells to it

carelessone1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.