First Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BluesGuy, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

Got home today to find my latest order had arrived. 1 pound of Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy. this was also my first Vaper and I have to say this was a very nice smoke. Another that needs to be packed lite....smoked slow but quite an enjoyable smoke. Had two bowls the first with two flakes just kind of crumpled up and stuffed.This was a bit tight and was a bit hot but not overwhelming. The second bowl I only used one flake kind of semi folded as best I could this burned much nicer. I can see the attraction now to the Vapers and will be trying more of these.

2. CBR

CBR Member

Nicely done! I find the same flake will have different flavors whether stuffed or rubbed and for me it's a bit of trial and error in the beginning. Give fully rubbed a try in your next bowl and puff a bit slower, see how that tastes. You might find the perique flavor a little more prominent.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

I'd been reading through Rich's inventory and had noted the luxury Navy Flake but this can be the difficulty; the difference between American English and British English - to me a navy flake is a fairly strong, cased and topped virginia taditionally presented in coins.

Thanks for the thread - Perique and I don't always get along; it gives me mega tongue bite whatever I do with it,

Enjoy!

Gerry

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

Welcome to the world of flake tobaccos, although I am not a fan of perique I enjoy a good pressed Virginia cake!

5. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Last week I got in a couple ounces each of their Navy Flake, Bullseye Flake and Twist Flake. All three are excellent. Right now my favorite of the three is Twist Flake followed by Navy Flake. I am still struggling with Bullseye Flake. I know there is more there than what I am getting.

For those who don't like perique you gotta try their Twist Flake. It has to be one of the prettiest flakes on the market and it also has to have the best tin note I have smelled. I love the way it smells. It is some seriously good stuff.

I have really been enjoying the Navy Flake too. The perique is not heavy in it.

These three have been about all I have smoked since the order came in and I forsee some full 1.5# boxes on my next order. This stuff is worth some cellar space.

6. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Try their Twist Flake.

7. Marc

Marc Active Member

I've tried it before but can't remember my impression of it, may have to re-visit this one, thanks for the recommendation! :D

8. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

I did this on my morning bowl today and I think I like this method the most at least for this flake. Thanks for the suggestion.

9. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Marc I have a few pounds of this squirreled away...let me know if you a few flakes to "remind" you palate on this one!

10. Marc

Marc Active Member

Thanks Rugs but I swear I cannot remember this blend and cannot tell you how many different Virginias I have smoked over the years. I use to enjoy SG BBF and FVF on occasion, but the quality and consistency of those tobaccos have really went downhill in the past year or two, I also heard they lost their original source of African leaf they used for those blends and the leaf their using now is different and so is the flavor. The last tin of FVF I bought was dry as dust in the tin, threw it in the trash and said no more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.