• Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.

First Impressions - Gentleman Caller

Fr Tom

PSF Chaplain
Old Ted Award 2017
I am having the deer tongue experience here with a bowl of Gentleman Caller in the office. It is smoking like a mild burley forward VaBur OTC with just a whiff of perique and a slightly herbal thing going on. The herbal is unlike anything I have had before. There might be a little honey/grassy in there, but it tastes a lot like one of those blends grocery stores had an assortment of 40 years ago. I stepped out of the office to help someone and when I came back, there was some vanilla in the room note along with the herbal I was tasting.

I am enjoying this, but I am unlikely to start buying it by the pound based on this one bowl. When I finish the sample, I will put a review on TR. I figured I would share first impressions here.

Fr Tom

PSF Chaplain
Old Ted Award 2017
I've always been interested in Gentleman Caller. I have heard that it is supposed to be similar to the original Half and Half, which contained Deer Tongue...
This was the reason really for my interest. My father smoked Half & Half, and he had smoked it for a long time. I am not sure when they dropped the deer tongue, but presumably this is similar to what he was smoking back in the day.

truculentfrogs

Back in the day when MARS accepted all credit cards and shipped to the West Coast, this was given out in 1/2 ounce samples. I received 3 and finished them all. The Deer Tongue was quite noticeable and overall, strength was on the upside of medium.
I found it a novel change of pace. Glad to try, but never ordered a larger amount.

Fr Tom

PSF Chaplain
Old Ted Award 2017
It's funny you only get a whiff of perique, I get clobbered by that blend. I can't snork it or else I feel like I just snorted a line of finely ground pepper. The room note from it though makes it all worth it. You get that classic deer tongue room note which is just about the best there is.
There is a serious nose tickle on the snork, but for me it was the herbal thing that seemed to produce the effect. The base presented to me like a slightly less sweet Derby Club with no Orientals. To my palate, that is about the amount of the perique. I am two bowls into the sample and taking a break from the deer tongue with some Semois in a BST pot.

Egeorge1

GC is good but I prefer Crooner, but that is only because I seem to gravitate toward burley centric blends these days. The bad thing (for me at least), is that Crooner can knock me on my ass if I'm not careful. I have been considering making a mixture of 50% of each to try to get the best of both worlds.

Fr Tom

PSF Chaplain
Old Ted Award 2017
I am still smoking my way through the sample.

My wife asked what I was smoking. I said it was something called Gentleman Caller. Se said there is an odd quality to the roomnote for her. She said when she first smells it, it is almost like there is an electrical short somewhere that is putting off a little odor, but then as she gets used to it, it is pleasant but different.

It is pretty unusual for her to comment on roomnote at all, so this is an interesting data point.

Kevin Keith

My wife asked what I was smoking. I said it was something called Gentleman Caller. Se said there is an odd quality to the roomnote for her. She said when she first smells it, it is almost like there is an electrical short somewhere that is putting off a little odor, but then as she gets used to it, it is pleasant but different.

It is pretty unusual for her to comment on roomnote at all, so this is an interesting data point.
I hope you have her electrical short comment in your TR review. lol

Coda

My wife told me that Crooner smells like plastic at first...but in a good way

Billy Joe

Deer tongue, even in miniscule amounts, seems to have one of the most unique aromas associated with pipe smoking. I do not find it unpleasant in any way.

When I open my drawer with the BC Dublin that I smoked @Shisno 's sample in, I can still get a strong smell from it after almost 2 months. But that sample WAS awesome.

Egeorge1

How well does Gentleman Caller, or any deer tongue blend, age?
I have an 11 year old jar of a blend called Bing's Favorite from the old thepiperoom.com. I'm pretty sure it is Crooner relabeled. It tastes not much different than the new Crooner I bought last year so since it's burley it doesn't improve with age but it holds up just fine. I think since it is a dried herb and not a sprayed on flavoring it does better in keeping the flavor. GC should improve with age since it is a virginia blend.