First journey into quality tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by scr575, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scr575

scr575 Member

Hi folks,

With winter closing in fast i have decided to push deeper into the whole pipe smoking hobby, and try something other than the local B&M's aromatic bulk selection.

So i put in an order to Smokingpipes and just received Autumn Evening, Union Square, and Frog Morton on the Town. Without enough time to light up a bowl before work i decided to transfer the bacy to jars and take a smell of them in the process.

Having only experienced aros up to now i smelled what i expected from the Autumn Evening, a very, very sweet maple aroma. Much nicer than the bulk maple blends i've experienced.

When i popped the Union Spuare the first thing that came to mind was an old farm full of hay. From what i've read here that is expected but i do hope that the taste is a bit sweeter than the smell.

And then came the Frog Morton. I deffinately was not expecting what i smelled from this stuff. To me it smelled straight burnt rubber! Is it really supposed to smell like this??? i really do hope it tastes better than it smells.

I should be trying one or two of these out tonight (prob the autumn evening and union square, cause the morton is a bit intimidating to me) and let you guys know what i think.

thanks guys,
    peace

2. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Did you make a mistake and get Frog Morton on the Dragstrip?

Seriously though, that's probably just the Latakia you're detecting. The tobacco is smoke-cured, so it smells funny. Smokes good though; I suspect you'll enjoy it.

3. cmw00

cmw00 Member

LMAO!!! FM At the Track! :roflmao:

I suggest burning some rubber, and breathing in those fumes, then seeing if you still think FM smells that bad :eek:hyeah:

4. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

I've always wondered why people don't like the way McClelland tobaccos smell. Of course, so far, the only toby of theirs I've had is Anniversary, but I do love how it smells out of the tin.

5. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I think you'll like the Autumn Evening, scr575. Perfect on a chilly night and one I keep coming back to as the temperature drops.

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Their blends, more so the minimalist Virginias, smell sorta like vinegar, ketchup, BBQ sauce, etc. I have noticed it to varying degrees. It doesn't bother me. I assume it's not an issue in their aro's.

7. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Good choices. Well thought out!

8. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

Autumn Evening is a favorite of mine,
    Union Square is very nice... but I do not like Latakia Sam I am

9. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I think you will enjoy all 3 blends. FMOTT is a popular toby on this forum. I smoke a lot of English blends and most taste better than they smell.

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

FMOTT is a perfect introductino to the dark side. It's still sweet and easily approachable, not a dominating tobacco at all, but it does have enough latakia to make your nose hairs curl if you take a big whiff. Fear not - it's supposed to smell like that, and it smokes similarly - campfire, beef jerky... smooth smokey spicey yumminess. Takes some getting used to though.

Cygnus, Anniversary is a very mild smelling McClelland - as Yinyang points out, some of their virginia blends and Va/pers really have a strong sharp smell, almost like a sweet vinegar. If you can get past it, the tobaccos are heaven, and now when I smell it I think "Oh this is good stuff" so I've Pavloved myself a bit.

11. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

Union Square is a good one. At first I didn't "get it" but I let it mellow for a bit. I don't know if my tastes evolved or if it just aged well but after a couple months it was fantastic.

12. etofun

etofun Member

i love the smell of burnt rubber/brakes/clutch/oil/fuel in the morning :thumbsu:

13. scr575

scr575 Member

thanks for the input fellas. very much appreciated!

i decided to try just two of them over the last few days smoking a few bowls of the fmott and the autumn evening.

i was a bit dissapointed in the autumn evening. it's almost double the price of the b&m bulk maple blend that i've been smoking for a while and really didn't taste that much different, if anything not as good. i did smoke it out of the cob that i normally smoke the bulk from so it just may have been ghosted is all. i will continue to smoke it from that bowl and see if it changes at all.

if ever someone new to pipes asks me what to start with, will simple say "FMOTT". this tobacco was simple amazing! as someone new to english blends i really can't be specific on what was so good about it. but what i can say is that it was just "more", "bigger", or more "full" than anything i have previosly tried. i was a bit scared to try it for some reason but i was amazed at how much i enjoyed it! so thanks to all that have suggested this blend on the forum.

i am going to stick with these three blends till their gone and see what i think, but as of now i think my tastes have turned to favoring more english blends.

what do you guys think is good next step or two in that direction as far as blends go?

thanks gents

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.